Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,437   Online: 898

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Stand development

Stupid question time again!

I know what stand development is, but I don't know when to use it, or how to adjust the times for it.

Is it a N- thing only, or do you sometimes use it for normal development too?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use minimal agitation in tubes. That is a form of stand or semi stand development. I use it in all means of contrast control (expansion to contraction). The benefit with certain films is that it provides enhanced edge effects which leads to a greater perception of sharpness.

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I know I'm not being very clear, but it's only because I don't know what I'm talking about...

So do you use it all of the time, or just for certain situations, like a water bath?

(FWIW, I use trays.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    I know I'm not being very clear, but it's only because I don't know what I'm talking about...

So do you use it all of the time, or just for certain situations, like a water bath?

(FWIW, I use trays.)
    I use it all of the time. Stand development in trays carries the potential for uneven development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I use it all of the time. Stand development in trays carries the potential for uneven development.
    I can confirm this, you have to make sure that your films are completely covered with developer, do not float to the surface, etc. Plan to build a slosh tray or purchase one, which should make this less of a problem. I do know that Donald has had very good success with the tubes.
    Mike C

Rambles

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Stand development in trays carries the potential for uneven development.
    That raises my next question, and maybe photomc already answered it: can you do more than one sheet at a time in a tray with stand development? It would seem that the developer between the sheets would get exhausted before it was time to agitate.

Does anyone do this in trays?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    That raises my next question, and maybe photomc already answered it: can you do more than one sheet at a time in a tray with stand development? It would seem that the developer between the sheets would get exhausted before it was time to agitate.

Does anyone do this in trays?
    Yes, I routinely do semi-stand development in slosher trays with 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film. My 4x5 slosher has 6 film compartments (thus 6 sheets of film) and my 5x7 and 8x10 sloshers both have 4 film compartments. The slosher trays are designed to fit into a slightly larger conventional darkroom tray.

My semi-stand agitation procedure calls for a 5 minute pre-soak in water, followed by transfer of the slosher tray to a tray of Pyrocat-HD working solution. I gently rock the slosher for 30 seconds immediately after immersion into the developer. I let the slosher stand for half of the total development time, then gently rock the slosher for 30 seconds. At the end of the development time I transfer the slosher tray to a tray full of water a brief rinse, then I transfer the slosher to a tray full of non-hadening alkaline fixer.

I have no problems with uniformity of development. With a slosher tray, I use a large volume of developer (1.5 - 2 liters 0f 2:2:100 dilution Pyrocat-HD) for 4 sheets of 8x10 film. Note that Pyrocat-HD is very inexpensive and works well with many different types of agitation. Pyrocat-HD works very well with minimum agitation.

I have not experienced any developer exhaustion problems with Pyrocat-HD. In fact, I have on occasion run an additional 4 sheets of 8x10 film through the developer with no change in performance.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom,
    can you give us some more information on your slosher trays? Construction if home-made and supplier if commercially purchased.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    I can confirm this, you have to make sure that your films are completely covered with developer, do not float to the surface, etc. .....
    ...I do know that Donald has had very good success with the tubes.
    This almost seems a contradiction. How can one do stand development in tubes when the negatives need to be completely covered with developer?
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Tom,
    can you give us some more information on your slosher trays? Construction if home-made and supplier if commercially purchased.
    This is the one sold by Photographers' Formulary http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ID=78&langID=0
    Francesco

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin