Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,983   Online: 729

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gossen Luna-Pro

Shooter
    Multi Format

Gossen Luna-Pro

Having recently picked up the above-mentioned meter to use for landscapes (something my Minolta IVF doesn't do well ... or it might be my mediocre metering technique) and as a back-up meter, I got a pair of Duracell 625 batteries to put in it, but they are 1.5V instead of the 1.35 that the Gossen is set for.

So therefore, comparing the meter with some of my others, and in-camera meters, I find that it's usually at least 1 to 1-2/3 stops off from the other meters, which meter accurately. Is there a way to recalibrate the Gossen or otherwise get it to play nice with the 1.5V batteries without having to open it up and doing some soldering or sending it off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Gossen Luna-Tec, which is the previous model. I use either Wein Cells or hearing aid cells with an adapter. The hearing aid cells can be bought at any drug store, are reasonable priced, and seem to last as long as the Wein Cells. Use an adapter from Jon Goodman. jon_goodman@yahoo.com
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    At least a few years ago, there was a guy in the Netherlands selling adapters--basically he was carving the shells of old batteries, soldering in a resistor, and leaving space for the new battery inside. I bought a couple for my Nikon. If I remember when I get home, I'll see if I can find his info.

This is why, when I bought my own Luna Pro, I went with the Luna Pro F, even though I didn't really need the flash meter. Takes a regular 9v battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    At least a few years ago, there was a guy in the Netherlands selling adapters--basically he was carving the shells of old batteries, soldering in a resistor, and leaving space for the new battery inside.

This is why, when I bought my own Luna Pro, I went with the Luna Pro F, even though I didn't really need the flash meter. Takes a regular 9v battery.
    More likely a diode rather than a resistor. And some models of the Luna Pro SBC (no flash metering) also take the standard rectangular 9V battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    I have a Gossen Luna-Tec, which is the previous model. I use either Wein Cells or hearing aid cells with an adapter. The hearing aid cells can be bought at any drug store, are reasonable priced, and seem to last as long as the Wein Cells. Use an adapter from Jon Goodman. jon_goodman@yahoo.com
    LunaTec?? I've never heard of that one. I have a LunaSix, LunaSix - 3 and LunaPro. Also had the LunaLux, an LED nullmeter which uses a 9v battery, and the LunaPro F also 9v. I wish I had kept the Lunalux.
    The hearing aid cells will last longer if you block off two of the four airholes. The adapter to usr the hearing aid cells pays for itself in savings over the Wein cells.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a LunaPro on a regular basis. There are several options for voltage reduction (diode, Wein cell, adapaters). I just bought the Gossen adapter and find that the results are very acceptable... meaning "proper". The Gossen option isn't the cheapest in terms of initial investment but it is very effective and appears to last forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I use a LunaPro on a regular basis. There are several options for voltage reduction (diode, Wein cell, adapaters). I just bought the Gossen adapter and find that the results are very acceptable... meaning "proper". The Gossen option isn't the cheapest in terms of initial investment but it is very effective and appears to last forever.
    The $45USD one from B&H?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just adjust the film speed to overexpose by one stop. So for 400 speed film, set the meter to 200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbringer View Post
    Yes, that's the one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    At least a few years ago, there was a guy in the Netherlands selling adapters--basically he was carving the shells of old batteries, soldering in a resistor, and leaving space for the new battery inside. I bought a couple for my Nikon. If I remember when I get home, I'll see if I can find his info.
    That's Frans de Gruijter. His tutorial contains a *lot* of useful technical information, almost a must read: http://www.buhla.de/Foto/batt-adapt-US.pdf

You can email him at battery.adapter@orange.nl to check if he's still in business- it's been a long time since I ordered from him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin