Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,067   Online: 890

Thread: ND Grad filters

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ND Grad filters

Take a look at the Baxter Bradford post in the regular gallery, Daybreak at Porth.... The beach photo is a good example of the application of stacked ND grad filters. The stunning transparency could not have been made otherwise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, I would also suggest taking a look at the work of Joe Cornish (if you look at his book, in the technical details, you will find he used one on most of the images in the book). Both photographers, have an appreciation of how to properly use the ND Grad, and their results are stunning. I personally find the ND Grad filters to be the most valuable that I own.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed. ND grads are great when the horizon is relatively flat.

On various occasions, I've also noted a fair amount of additional density behind my camera, but it's not always neutral or graduated.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    On various occasions, I've also noted a fair amount of additional density behind my camera, but it's not always neutral or graduated.
    I've noticed the same thing behind my camera; it is quite thick at times.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Agreed. ND grads are great when the horizon is relatively flat.
    Sometimes I wish Lee would make a rectangular center-spot filter - western Norway has no flat horizons. Notches and peaks are more common...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Sometimes I wish Lee would make a rectangular center-spot filter - western Norway has no flat horizons. Notches and peaks are more common...
    Try getting rid of the holder, use multiple ND grads and tape them to the lens. I have heard of others who do this, and it seems to work.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the complements. I blame Mr Cornish entirely for the expense of buying a lot of filters and the headaches he has caused me trying to get my filtration anything like as accomplished as his. Maybe one day.........probably not!

I find that whilst striving for tranquillity and perfection in front of the lens. The atmosphere behind it is frequently rather blue. I continue to be more fluent with expletives than filters!

Bax

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin