Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 715

Shooter
    35mm

Shooting with a 42 year old 120 roll of Kodacolor; exposure index?

So I'm planning to go out and shoot this super old roll of film in my Yashica Mat 124 sometime soon in the future, perhaps to do some night photography. I have no idea what the results are going to be colour-wise but I guess that's the fun of photography!

When this film was sold in 1960, it had an EI of 32. I've heard that even with good film storage in a freezer (which is what this film has had since day one) that the film could lose as much as one full stop of EI/ISO every decade. I have been struggling to figure out at least a good estimate of what the EI/ISO would be today so that I can meter accurately. Any ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure about EI, but you may struggle with developing. I believe that Kodacolor II which uses the C41 process, was only introduced in 1972. If your film is 42 years old then it must be the original Kodacolor, which used the C-22 process.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I found a few places I could mail to in the states that would still process C22, thankfully.

Let's say I estimate that the film has lost 4 stops of sensitivity, is it safe to assume that the ISO/EI would be somewhere around 2? Is that accurate in terms of stops in EI terms?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ennervate View Post
    I think I found a few places I could mail to in the states that would still process C22, thankfully.

Let's say I estimate that the film has lost 4 stops of sensitivity, is it safe to assume that the ISO/EI would be somewhere around 2? Is that accurate in terms of stops in EI terms?
    Yes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Whatever you do, don't send it to rocky mountain. You'd be better off using the backing paper as toilet paper and the film as party streamers then sending it there.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd bracket alot and get a clip test done when processing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin