Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,728   Online: 742

Shooter
    Multi Format

Gossen Profisix -or- New light meter

Gossen profisix looks excellent with the scale for SBR. BTZS books explains how to measure the same, which I would to experiment. But this meter is rather old and I am concerned about its age, reliability, the battery it takes and its serviceability in the future.

What other meters do you recommend? At the same time, I am not looking for a spot-meter which is quite expensive for me.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Gossen profisix looks excellent with the scale for SBR. BTZS books explains how to measure the same, which I would to experiment. But this meter is rather old and I am concerned about its age, reliability, the battery it takes and its serviceability in the future.

What other meters do you recommend? At the same time, I am not looking for a spot-meter which is quite expensive for me.
    Too old. If you just need incident/reflected readings, the Sekonic 308 is nice and goes for around $125-150 used; the older 328 is usually around $75-100 used. Reliable, tough, accurate, powered by a single AA. Film and processing are getting too pricey to bother with battery/accuracy/reliability issues whatever an old meter's reputation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The PP3 9volt battery for the Profisix is freely available, the accuracy isn't a problem and it's a fine meter, but I've retired my Profisix because my modern digital meters are better.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the Profisix is a very good choice with its long-lasting battery, the sturdiness, the various accessories (among them a semi-spot attachment) but most of all the low-light capabilities. If you prefer incident metering, the Sekonic L-308 or L-358 are nice, new meters. Both of these can do reflective metering also.

I prefer needle and scale compared to a digital readout, but that is highly personal.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As you are based at least part of the time in Germany, I would suggest that you enquire about servicing issues with Gossen.

My Profisix (Lunapro SBC in the USA) recently died after about 30 years of excellent service. I had a new Digiflash to fall back on, so didn't replace it, but I would have otherwise considered either having it repaired or replacing it.

If you shoot with flash, the flash reading alternative is worth considering (Lunapro F in the USA). You lose some of the extended low light sensitivity though with that meter.

And in case it isn't clear from the posts above, the Profisix and Lunapro F use the 9 volt battery that, at least in North America, can be found everywhere.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After reading BTZS, there are few things which are tempting to be tested and one thing is SBR with incident meter. I like that alternative approach.

Also the method(Mid-tone based) described in this article

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...-negative.html
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My understanding is that Gossen provide servicing for their products. You are likely to be disappointed with the low-light sensitivity of the digital meters.
    The Profisix is hard to beat in that department.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    My understanding is that Gossen provide servicing for their products. You are likely to be disappointed with the low-light sensitivity of the digital meters.
    The Profisix is hard to beat in that department.
    This is untrue, I've had a Profisix for about twenty five years I also have three modern digital meters a Gossen Digi Pro, a Sekonic L-358, and a Kenko KFM 2100 (formally Minolta Auto meter V1), and they will all read light down to around the same level as the Profisix, down to -2EV with 100 I.S.O..
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-25-2012 at 02:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin