Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,517   Online: 1306

Images

Quick...have a B/W filter question

Will a yellow filter lighten a yellow rain jacket and seperate it from an orange rain hat?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Will a yellow filter lighten a yellow rain jacket and seperate it from an orange rain hat?
    Mike,

I'm no filter expert, but I would think that it should.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree. As far as I understand it, any filter lightens its own colour.

Shooter
    127 Format
    It's not going to have much effect:

Yellow is made up of light in the 500-700nm range.
    Depending on the orange, it contains less energy than yellow in the 500-600 range, but similar energy in the other bands.

A yellow (#8) filter simply blocks light below 500nm. Neither Yellow or Orange have much energy in this range anyway, so it has little effect on either.

To distinguish yellow from orange, you could either use an orange (#21, or maybe a deep yellow) filter, which blocks below 550 (darkens the yellow, has less effect on the orange), or more extremely a green (passes 500-600) which will signifigantly darken the orange, but let more of the yellow through.

If you want to run the simulations for yourself, and have access to a Mac, then you can download my app from www.dctsystems.co.uk.

Ian
    Last edited by 127; 11-22-2004 at 10:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos - meant orange, not red!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin