Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,424   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Note to self: Yellow filters and color negative film do not go well together.

Bah.

I shoot 99% b+w, and, as such, am quite used to viewing the world in a yellow-ish sheen as I look through the viewfinder.

Last week I shot a couple of rolls of Portra. Did it even occur to me to get rid of the yellow filter? Nope. Not until I picked up the prints at my local lab yesterday...

Oh well. I guess I'll have to go hybrid on this one. Photoshop does have its uses, after all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps it's the start of your famous "yellow period"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit of warmth can be nice sometimes. Cant be too bad right? Maybe a few keepers?

Shooter
    35mm
    Nah, it isn't really all that bad - or, more precisely, it doesn't look all that bad to my (color-deficient) eyes, anyway.

It does look a little strange, though - it is clearly mid-day, whereas the light looks somewhat early morning-ish. Good thing I was using a yellow, not an orange filter. I assume things would have looked worse, then.

Mostly, I am just annoyed with myself for not thinking in the first place.

Perhaps I should take Andrew's cue and make a habit of it, then call it 'art'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    * never mind * I forgot which forum I was on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been there, done that... It happens to the best of us. Though there was no hybrid option when I did that last.

Dave M
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.
    Carl Sandburg

Shooter
    35mm
    Considering that you have a colour negative, and that you have to "filter" it anyway, printing it on conventional colour paper should not give more or less recovery room than going hybrid. You will certainly lose some colour fidelity but you should obtain realistic results I suppose.

If you print yourself B&W but not colour, maybe you might try to print them as B&W (I am no printer but I suppose it could work).

If the result is disappointing you can always sell it as "artistic research in the chromatic domain" but you'll have to have this thread deleted first.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could sca... I mean convert to dig... then convert to gray sca... never mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OddE View Post
    Bah.

I shoot 99% b+w, and, as such, am quite used to viewing the world in a yellow-ish sheen as I look through the viewfinder.

Last week I shot a couple of rolls of Portra. Did it even occur to me to get rid of the yellow filter? Nope. Not until I picked up the prints at my local lab yesterday...

Oh well. I guess I'll have to go hybrid on this one. Photoshop does have its uses, after all.
    Well, OddE, if it's any consolation, I can go you one better. Yesterday, while shooting at Lake Louise, I pulled a similar stunt. Shooting both black and white (PanF Plus at E.I. 25) and color (E100VS at box speed), with the Blad, I shot half a roll of E100VS with the orange filter on the front of my 250mm before realizing my mistake! Not only will half the roll of color be deep orange, it will also be overexposed! Oh well...
    Last edited by BradleyK; 05-06-2012 at 01:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Well, OddE, if it's any consolation, I can go you one better. Yesterday, while shooting at Lake Louise, I pulled a similar stunt. Shooting both black and white (PanF Plus at E.I. 25) and color (E100VS at box speed), with the Blad, I shot half a roll of E100VS with the orange filter on the front of 250mm before realizing my mistake! Not only will half the roll of color be deep orange, it will also be overexposed! Oh well...
    In low light levels, you might get something interesting! You might also try cross processing, which is interesting after using a color filter.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin