Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,785   Online: 985

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Michael, but some folks are afraid of the ZS because they think they won't understand it. Explaining metering, exposure and processing can be done much more simply and, with today's emulsions, "ball park" really is close enough.

EDIT: I'm referring to today's negative emulsions, not slide film.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 05-10-2012 at 03:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then there are other good books that explain how to meter in simpler terms. It really isn't difficult under most conditions, and with practice visualization becomes easier. Either way, this business about not using a meter, or not needing a meter is silly. All that does is decrease the probability of getting a good exposure, or possibly impress the ghost of Brett Weston. Bah.

Images
    With the cost of 8x10 film and my limited budget I will use the one tool I have to insure a perfect exposure. I guess my up bringing and 4 years as a boat mechanic taught me to use the correct tool for the job. Half assed is not an option.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    With the cost of 8x10 film and my limited budget I will use the one tool I have to insure a perfect exposure. I guess my up bringing and 4 years as a boat mechanic taught me to use the correct tool for the job. Half assed is not an option.
    I'll keep my meters, too. But - that website in the original post is very interesting, it will help you use the meter better, believe it or not.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    But who needs a meter if this is on your camera!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rollei Back.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Images
    That's confusing.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    But who needs a meter if this is on your camera!
    +1

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    That's confusing.
    Not really -- the camera can be set at whatever "EV" you want (the numbers on the table on the back of the camera), lock it in and as one changes the f/stop, the shutter speed changes to keep the same EV (or visa versa). It is the MX-EVS model. I also have an earlier Rolleiflex MX model that has a similar table on the back (but without the neat pictures), but gives the recommendations in f/stops and shutter speeds.

For example, using the Rollei MX-EVS model, photographing with open sky (but not at the beach or with snow) at ASA 50 gives me an EV of 13 on the table. It is late in the afternoon (long shadows), so I subtract 2. 13-2=11, so I move the f/stop and shutter speed so that the mark on the dial is at an EV of 11, lock it in and move the dials to the f/stop and shutter speed combo I want to use.

While I actually never used that feature, I use about the same system now with my Pentax Digital Spot -- I read the "EV" numbers from the deepest shadow I want detail in (say, 4 read in the meter) and then take the reading in the brightest highlight (say, 10), then I figure where I want the shadows.

If I exposed at 4, those shadows would be middle gray, so I decide to expose at 6 (shadows at 4 are now placed in Zone III). I set 6 on the meter's dial and then the last thing I do is decide which combo of f/stop and shutter speed on the dial I will use (granted, the image itself and its need as far as DoF and/or shutter speed is in my head before I even start to meter). Where I metered 10 in the scene now falls on Zone 9 if developed normally.

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 05-11-2012 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There’s lots of times that I don’t use a meter, If it’s convenient then I will use one. Normally when i’m traveling I will rarely use them. I hate carrying one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    There’s lots of times that I don’t use a meter, If it’s convenient then I will use one. Normally when i’m traveling I will rarely use them. I hate carrying one.
    Me too but mostly just for b&w. I'll count back some estimate of what I think the day represents as to how much off of sunny-16 it might be, since I rarely shoot under sunny-16 conditions. Usually amounts to 2-4 stops less than sunny-16 depending on time of year, time of day and just how cloudy it might be. Remarkably this works out most of the time just fine.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin