Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,667   Online: 968

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Estimating Exposure

Time and time again we see posts from newbies wondering how to expose their images. A very good resource and something that will hopefully wean you from your meter is this webpage by Ed Buffaloe. His website unblinkingeye.com is a wealth of information for the beginner and serious photographer alike. Too bad we don't see Ed very often anymore but I hear he is into guns more than cameras these days.

I am sure the purists will find fault with something on the page, they always do, but for the most part it's good common sense advise.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Good stuff Eric! Love how it has a link to the Ultimate Exposure Calculator.

I always find it fun to have a print out of the Exposure Factor Relationship Chart and pick the exposure then test my hypothesis. Really helped me 'see'
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time and time again we see posts from newbies wondering how to expose their images
    Link to nice article. Actually this is the information 'experts' use to guide exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might just add that if you are in the far north, e.g. in the Canadian city where Eric and I live, it's usually better to use the sunny 11 rule. I've tested this many times with an accurate light meter, and the sunny 16 rule only seems to apply if the subject is directly front-lit by the open sun.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes you guys have it right on! Any of us that have been at it for awhile, in my case over 40 years, don't really need a meter for most things. It's this "learning to see" that is important. Hopefully this article will serve as a first step for those beginners that want to truly master their craft.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Images
    Hmmmm....To be a true master of the photographic craft you should ween yourself from the light meter? Guess this guy was a rank amateur.

If I was a street photog or someone who shoots on the run this article was useful and had good information.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I mean just that--even with a light meter, you must know what you are doing in order to get good results. An exposure meter only allows you to estimate with greater accuracy.
    Probably the best part of the article for me. Ninety percent of my photography falls outside of the usefulness of the article (in the redwoods or other woods with varying density of tree cover, varying fog and cloud cover, etc.)

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the descriptions at the beginning and they're definitely helpful. That's pretty much how I've used my old screwmount Pentax as well. But I'm starting to try and wrap my head around bellows factor and such in LF and that section just has way too much math. Anything that requires a calculator is just not going to happen in the field. Or likely anywhere with me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well AA did a pretty good job of estimating when he had to. I bet if someone took his meter away he could still make better exposed negs than most can with meters. That comes from experience. He had a system to promote and his name was tied to it so if anyone saw him not using a meter it would damage his "brand". Something he was very aware of.

Naturally there are situations where using a meter helps but if you spent most of your time in the woods taking photos I bet after awhile you could estimate what your exposures should be.

My philosophy is to be more aware and less mechanical. And you know what? It's just the way I do it. I'm not saying it's the right way or others are wrong, just right for me. For me fussing with meters, notes, framing devices etc. is a distraction and keeps me from appreciating the nuances presented before me.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Agree, I use a meter all the time but I do try to predict what the meter will say and double check it. Heck one day my meter could fall and shatter to bits and all my practice will come in handy! Regardless if one uses one or not, the above and subsequent link to the Ultimate Exposure Calculator is joy!
    Andy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin