Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,500   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Can you compensate for underexposed negs with extended development?

I developed a couple of 8x10 negatives last night taken at the Zion workshop and they look like they might be underexposed by a stop of so.

I was using a G-Clarion 240mm lens in a NEW copal 1 shutter and I fear that I may have screwed up when I made the f/stop scale resulting in underexposed negatives shot with this lens.

I'm going to develop one more negative taken with this lens to try and verify if there is a problem.

If the next negative does turn out underexposed would it help to extend the development time on the others?

If so how much should I increase the development time?

Thanks!

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would just raise the contrast without really bringing up much shadow detail. The best bet would be a compensating developer like D-23 or something like Acufine or Ethol to get the speed without raising the contrast too horribly much.
    As for pushing, for the average developer I'm told it's add 20% for each stop push. I couldn't tell you what that means in N+ numbers.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    exposure is for shadows and development is for the highlights. A compensating development regime is probably your best bet. Maybe something with a bit of a punch in the first developer and then a more gradual second development. I've heard some people using HC110 and pyro in this way.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It all depends on the contrast range of the scene you photographed. If you remember it to be quite flat then your underexposure could be compensated by increased development resulting in a negative with enough acceptable contrast. If it was a scene of a high contrast then your underexposed negatives with over development will simply result in more density without detail and contrast.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Francesco stated it correctly regarding negative development. If you are contact printing on Azo, then there is probably enough latitiude to still get a decent print on grade 3 with what appears to be an undexposed negative.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    I developed a couple of 8x10 negatives last night taken at the Zion workshop and they look like they might be underexposed by a stop of so.

I was using a G-Clarion 240mm lens in a NEW copal 1 shutter and I fear that I may have screwed up when I made the f/stop scale resulting in underexposed negatives shot with this lens.

I'm going to develop one more negative taken with this lens to try and verify if there is a problem.

If the next negative does turn out underexposed would it help to extend the development time on the others?

If so how much should I increase the development time?

Thanks!

Jim
    If I read what you are saying correctly then the aperture scale is suspect. The way to determine this is to measure the aperture opening and divide this into the focal length of the lens. That should get you into the ball park of the correct aperture of the lens at the various Fstops.

Unfortunately if you have inadequate shadow detail then there really is nothing that I have found that will give film exposure at the development stage. The film will expose at the proper amount of light. If that isn't present at the time of the exposure then no amount of development compensation is going to impart one bit of light.

As others have related, contrast can be adjusted by development. Exposure can not be adjusted by development.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sounds like the nut behind the tripod needs adjustment. Everyone does it, close down instead of opening up, vice versa, etc. Basically, if the photons from the dark areas of the scene didn't hit the film enough, no development increase will help - you can't develop silver halides that weren't exposed. If they did receive some exposure and the scene wasn't too contrasty, you'll improve things by increeasing development. If the scene was contrasty, you'll still build up more density in the lower areas but the higher values will increase proportionally more and you'll end up with a negative with a lot of hot spots. A proportional reducer would help here. So would masking. If these are really important negatives, the best thing would be to test this. Setup a scene at home with the same contrast range, underexpose by one stop and expose several negatives this way. Then, develop each for increasingly longer times, like +20%, +40%, +60% and see how the densities build up and make sure the total DR is within the capabilities of your paper. I've done this a few times and it really saved my bacon by taking the guesswork away from determining a development time.

-Mike

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The best bet is a speed-enhancing developer like FX-2, Neofin Blue, Beutler or any of the several others on the market or the recipes. It is possible to combine these with a staining second developer, I have used Neofin Blue and Pyrocat-HD with good results and a full stop speed increase.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What film are you shooting? If you're shooting one of the T-Max films, you might just process normally and still have usable shadow detail. Intensify in selenium if you need more contrast.

If you're shooting a traditional film, I'd go with those recommending a speed-enhancing developer. Acufine will give an honest one stop of real speed increase in my experience (a little less than they claim), measured as shadow detail (or Zone I density of 0.1). The neg might be on the thin side at the highlight end, so you can print a grade higher than you usually do and/or use selenium intensification to push up the highlights.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What would happen if he did a second (1-stop) exposure of a pure white background. Would it merely brighten contrast without enhancing shadow detail? I've always wondered...
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin