Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 952

Shooter
    Multi Format

Books on available light photography?

I was keenly reading the thread "Books to read about lighting," but the thread seems to favour controlled lighting (probably why it was posted in the equipment/lighting forum). I'm primarily interested in available light. What book(s) on available light photography (for an analog photographer, of course) would you recommend? I've looked at a few online (e.g., Available Light: Photographic Techniques for Using Existing Light Sources by Don Marr), but most books favour ddddigital photography (there, I said it).
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ansel Adams, The Negative
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by walbergb View Post
    I was keenly reading the thread "Books to read about lighting," but the thread seems to favour controlled lighting (probably why it was posted in the equipment/lighting forum). I'm primarily interested in available light. What book(s) on available light photography (for an analog photographer, of course) would you recommend? I've looked at a few online (e.g., Available Light: Photographic Techniques for Using Existing Light Sources by Don Marr), but most books favour ddddigital photography (there, I said it).
    Because that's what most people shoot...

Haven't seen the newer revised edition but Lee Frost's 1999 The Complete Guide to Night and Low-light Photography is useful and possibly available used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TBH, available light photography is simply photography. Books like 'The Negative' are a good start but understanding your camera, your lenses, your meters and films are integral to getting accurate exposures. Understanding principals or rules will only get you so far. Testing your gear and learning how it responds to light/meter readings is very important.

Shooter
    Large Format

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    TBH, available light photography is simply photography. Books like 'The Negative' are a good start but understanding your camera, your lenses, your meters and films are integral to getting accurate exposures. Understanding principals or rules will only get you so far. Testing your gear and learning how it responds to light/meter readings is very important.
    ...which is exactly why The Negative is a good place to start. Also, Natural Light Photography (#4 in the Basic Photo Series), by Adams.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into them.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin