Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,326   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You can't make a 1/3 stop exposure adjustment with that camera.
    Why can't he?? Did you read anything other than what you quoted? About the ISO setting on the camera's meter, perhaps?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You can't make a 1/3 stop exposure adjustment with that camera.
    True, but the correct EI setting (this example at 125 on the hand-held meter, 160 on a through-the-lens meter) combined with the existing light may lead to a recommended exposure that can be set on the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it were me (and it isn't), I'd just overexpose the sucker a half stop or what have you. A neg you can call fatty is a friend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Wait a minute. Are you metering with the camera's meter or the handheld meter?? Changing the ISO setting on the camera and then metering with the handheld set to 160 will compensate for nothing. If the camera has TTL metering, it will (as has been pointed out) automatically compensate for the filter factor
    Some of the lenses I have do not have 1/3 stops on the aperture ring. Some of them have a mixture of 1/2 and full stop increments on the same ring. So I was just looking for an easy way to open 1/3 stop, no matter what lens I'm using. I'm not going to be using TTL.

What I've been doing is metering at 160 (film speed) and then opening the aperture by 1/3 or 1/2, depending on the lens.
    My thought was to meter at 160 and then open 1/3 stop, via ISO dial.
    This should give me the same exposure as opening aperture, but be easier since I could just apply the meter reading, and not worry about the filter factor. The filter compensation would already be dialed in. That's my thought anyway.

As Bill mentioned, setting "ISO B" to 125 might be the way to go.

1/3 of a stop may not matter that much, but I have other filters with larger filter factors.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    If it were me (and it isn't), I'd just overexpose the sucker a half stop or what have you. A neg you can call fatty is a friend.
    I was about to say something like this, but I was so completely wrong earlier this AM I'm almost afraid to speak!

I never worry too much about 1/3 stop adjustments -- 1/2 at most.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I used 1/3 stop as an example, bad one I guess. I have other filters with larger filter factors that I want to apply what I learn here. Also some of my lenses only have full stops between clicks. With a camera that only has full stops for shutter and a lens with full stops on aperture, knowing how to change the ISO dial to compensate is something I'd like to learn.
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    Some of the lenses I have do not have 1/3 stops on the aperture ring. Some of them have a mixture of 1/2 and full stop increments on the same ring. So I was just looking for an easy way to open 1/3 stop, no matter what lens I'm using. I'm not going to be using TTL.

What I've been doing is metering at 160 (film speed) and then opening the aperture by 1/3 or 1/2, depending on the lens.
    My thought was to meter at 160 and then open 1/3 stop, via ISO dial.
    This should give me the same exposure as opening aperture, but be easier since I could just apply the meter reading, and not worry about the filter factor. The filter compensation would already be dialed in. That's my thought anyway.

As Bill mentioned, setting "ISO B" to 125 might be the way to go.

1/3 of a stop may not matter that much, but I have other filters with larger filter factors.
    If you are metering with a handheld meter, and setting tha camera with that reading, it will not matter what the ISO setting on the camera is, as you will not be using the meter in the camera. If you are using a handheld meter, set that meter at ISO 125 and use those readings. If you are using the meter in the camera, and it is a TTL meter, simply screw the filter on and continue using the 160 setting on the camera's ISO dial. Why are you using two meters and two settings?

What camera are you using?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Aha,

Setting the ISO dial on the camera adjusts the camera's meter - which you are ignoring anyway when you use a handheld meter and manual camera settings.

So changing the ISO dial but not using an "Auto" exposure mode, doesn't link camera meter to f/stop or shutter speed so it would have no effect.

(same thing E. von Hoegh just said)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Aha,

Setting the ISO dial on the camera adjusts the camera's meter - which you are ignoring anyway when you use a handheld meter and manual camera settings.

So changing the ISO dial but not using an "Auto" exposure mode, doesn't link camera meter to f/stop or shutter speed so it would have no effect.

(same thing E. von Hoegh just said)
    Yeah, and it's only the second time I said it.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    If you are metering with a handheld meter, and setting tha camera with that reading, it will not matter what the ISO setting on the camera is, as you will not be using the meter in the camera.
    EDIT: OK I just read the two posts above. I understand now. The ISO dial doesn't really open via shutter or aperture, it just changes the in camera's meter reading. I didn't know that.

This confuses me. If I use a handheld meter and apply the meter settings and then open the aperture 1/3 stop. How is that different from applying the handheld meter reading and opening 1/3 stop via the ISO dial?

If you are using a handheld meter, set that meter at ISO 125 and use those readings.
    EDIT: And therefore it doesn't matter what the ISO dial is set at.

But leave the ISO setting on the camera at 160, right?

If you are using the meter in the camera, and it is a TTL meter, simply screw the filter on and continue using the 160 setting on the camera's ISO dial.
    I am not using the camera's meter.

Why are you using two meters and two settings?
    I'm not using two meters. I'm not 100% sure what "two settings" you're referring to. I can program my meter for two ISO settings, 'A' and 'B.' So I could program 'A' with ISO 160 and 'B' with 125. This could be used to more easily meter. One setting for when filter is off, one for on. Maybe that's what you're referring to?

What camera are you using?
    I'm using a Zeiss Ikon ZI and a Pentax Super ME.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by kbrede; 06-25-2012 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    --
    Kenton Brede

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin