Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,626   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some input

Shooter
    35mm

Need some input

While my first love is photography, my second is an interest in what would generally be considered the woo-woo/paranormal/weirder side of life.

Often the two clash together when someone brings images of something to the table that are simply too good to be true. That's where this post comes in, and hopefully some of you out there will have some input for me.

There's a certain well-known case here that I'm sure is as fake as anything can possibly be, but so far nobody has successfully done it to most of it's follower's suiting.

It seems there's a certain one-armed Swiss farmer who, armed with his 35mm camera has taken photos of numerous "UFO's" for many years. Now, these objects look like your momma's baking tins glued together, often poorly or impossibly lit in the images, etc. But, the issue of scale and usability of a model comes into play.

So, here's where I'm at. In my thinking, someone *should* be able to build a relatively small scale model, shoot it on something equivalent to a white infinity wall, though tabletop, with proper lighting to simulate outdoor lighting for the eventual faked scene. Using slide film, one would be able, I believe, to create an image of a "UFO" hovering, with a respective shadow on no apparent (clear) background on the processed slide film. Then, taking a second slide of an outdoor scene, of, say, a tree with similar lighting conditions. Then, once processed, the two slides layered, the fake image on top of the real outdoor scene, to produce what looks like a UFO hovering over a tree by inserting the layered slides into a slide repro attachment, and shooting the layered image onto print film. Voila, a UFO.

But, sadly I don't have a slide repro attachment, or much model building forte. So, here I am. In theory, what's everyone's opinion? Would shooting something on a white background, as I believe it should, yield a clear slide? Second, would layering two slides and re-shooting yield an effect as I'm describing?

I'm looking to find the proper equipment to test out my theory, but sadly the parts on ebay are pretty expensive but I'm keeping on the lookout. Meantime, input?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just have some aliens hover over your back yard. Watch out for the probes, though - the little bastards always want a quid pro quo.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just photograph the real thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    No need for slides. You can sandwich two B&W negatives to produce a fake print, a montage. Uniform skies lend themselves well. I think this technique has been used many times in this kind of photographic "genre". The only object which is "glued" over another image more often than a UFO is certainly the moon. People like pasting moons everywhere in the most absurd dimensions. They often glue them in the North part of the sky as well.

Another technique would be double exposure: The first exposure is normal, the second over the same film takes only the unidentified pasted object while the rest of the scene is black.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardDvorin View Post
    Yeah. No kidding.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or watch that dreadful "Fact or Faked" TV show.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardDvorin View Post
    The last time I tried that they flew away while I was running to grab my camera. Sneaky bastards.

And the other time, when they took me for a rather unpleasant ride, I didn't even own a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This guy might help. http://www.ufophil.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, while I realize double exposure would work, as would many other things, my point with posting is to find out if my thoughts on a white background on slide film producing a clear area on the film, once processed. Obviously, with negative film anything white would turn out as a honkin black area on the processed film. Plus, I'm trying to figure out a way to, without double exposures, create the needed effect. Working out double exposures can be tough enough for someone with experience, but just assuming we're dealing with someone who has little to work with outside of a camera and some film, how it could be done easily.

Obviously taking an outdoor shot then moving to an indoor shot for a double exposure would require some thought on the part of whoever does the faking. But, like I said my needed input was mainly in the properties of a slide film when dealing with white colors. As best I can tell anything I've got on slide that's white in life is a clear, or almost clear area on the slide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you trying to fake a UFO sighting, or learn how fakes can be done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin