Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,556   Online: 1032

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes Ektar is good with box speed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    While I'd say it is certainly a saturated film, it is nowhere near Velvia (Velveeta???). Velvia's colors are super-saturated, and it's also noticeably more of a green/blue bias whereas Ektar is somwhere between neutral and reds/yellows/oranges.
    Couldn't agree more. Blues and greens are saturated but nowhere near velvia tones. Reds/yellows/oranges pop a bit more than other neg films i've shot. That said, I like Ektar a lot. It can be great for cool light like a slightly overcast day or northern geography.

The one word of warning I have about Ektar is that it can emphasize any redness in a subject's face. Flushed cheeks or warm light can make faces look a bit red.

Edit:
    Example photo. Note skin tones:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6202079279_99ef621059_z.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	53187

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeblues View Post
    The one word of warning I have about Ektar is that it can emphasize any redness in a subject's face. Flushed cheeks or warm light can make faces look a bit red.
    I would not use Ektar for a portrait of a person with Rosacea or dark red veins on their face or neck.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you KNOW you're doing portraits, shoot Portra 160, not Ektar. If you don't have a choice, go ahead and use the Ektar, the redness can be tweaked in printing/post-processing unless it's extreme.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot a roll of Ektar at box speed and it came out with a pretty bad magenta cast, easily fixed though. I shot another at 64 and it came out great. Most of my color work is done on Portra but Ektar is fun to play with sometimes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot Ektar 100 in both 120 roll film and 4x5 sheets. Easy to develop at home with the c-41 press kit, easy to scan. I use a spot meter when doing LF, and sunny 16 when using my Yashica D. Very rarely, do I get a poor exposure using 100 iso.
    Here are some Ektar 100 examples taken with my Yashica D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8387014...7630831836096/

Shooter
    35mm
    For spot metering landscapes, what would you recommend? With Velvia I usually meter a highlight and then open up 1 to 1.5 stops. With Provia I meter a highlight and open up 1.5-2 stops.

I've heard some folks suggest metering Ektar like you would for transparency but to open ~3 stops (unlike other C41 film where you'd spot meter the shadows). What say ye?

Shooter
    35mm
    I somewhat second robbalbrecht's experience: shot the first roll at box speed, and shadows came out blocked and horribly blotchy (with mid- and highlight tones properly exposed). Next time I will shot at ISO 64 or lower, depending on lighting.

P.S. Forgot to mention, with proper filtration the said shadows came in very pronounced deep blue.
    Last edited by I.G.I.; 05-07-2013 at 04:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I.G.I, many here have advocated shooting at box speed but unless one has tested their meter, metering technique, apertures and shutter speeds for accuracy you can't be sure you are actually getting a box speed exposure. That is why I advocate adding some exposure, up to a stop from box speed to lessen the possibility of underexposure and loss of shadow detail. Any small overexposure will cause no harm. So shooting at lower ISO as you mentioned is a good idea as far as shadow detail is concerned but robbalbrecht's color problem is likely due to scanning errors.

I optically print Ektar and never have the blue shadow problem any more than any other film. Shot in the sun, any film is likely to have a little blue in the shadows from skylight but Ektar, being a high saturation film, may enhance this.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ektar is for adults. Use a light meter, know how to use a light meter, and understand why a light meter needs to be calibrated. If you can
    correctly expose E6 slides, Ektar is a piece of cake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin