Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,061   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Exposing Ektar 100

On a whim I purchased 5 boxes of Ektar 100. I've never shot this film and don't have time to test before going on vacation. Yes I know that isn't wise. Anyway, any words of wisdom from those who've used this film? I've shot a few rolls of Portra 160 and 400. In comparison to those films, expose about the same?
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Expose it at box speed and it will be beautiful. It's contrastier and more saturated than the Portra 160, but that's ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Box speed is where it's at! My latest two blog posts are mainly with ektar (and a few with 160).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektar produces great colour for 100ISO. The colours won't be as true and realistic as Portra all the time, but they will be more colourful and vibrant instead. Think of it as a marriage of slide and colour neg. You don't have to worry about precise exposure with Ektar, though and contrary to what I read about Ektar, I still find the colours usually fairly realistic, just not Portra/Pro realistic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ektar is a great film, like others have stated in this thread it's got a bit more "pop" than portra and it exposes very nicely at box speed. Here's a couple of examples of my own...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassy50...n/photostream/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Treat it like a chrome, especially if you're printing to RA4. It has huge contrast, so any scene with a lot of dynamic range (or big exposure errors) will result in blocked out regions.

Half a stop over doesn't really hurt but if you're scanning, you need to know how to correct the overexposure so that highlights aren't dead-looking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Treat it like a chrome, especially if you're printing to RA4. It has huge contrast, so any scene with a lot of dynamic range (or big exposure errors) will result in blocked out regions.

Half a stop over doesn't really hurt but if you're scanning, you need to know how to correct the overexposure so that highlights aren't dead-looking.
    yeah, Ektar to me is like "velvia in negative format"-I like it in most situations, but it's quite "wild" in character

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    While I'd say it is certainly a saturated film, it is nowhere near Velvia (Velveeta???). Velvia's colors are super-saturated, and it's also noticeably more of a green/blue bias whereas Ektar is somwhere between neutral and reds/yellows/oranges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Box speed.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Portra for weddings or any function involving portraiture, particularly with flash. Ektar for general purpose outdoor pics,, i.e. landscape, travel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin