Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,464   Online: 1183

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Manual focus + Hammer head flash

I have Olympus OM-1n and I love Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4 analog when used as bounce flash. With manual focusing lenses, I am so used to left-hand focusing but this flash have left-hand grip which makes hard if not possible to focus with right-hand + cock the shutter + release.

I am thinking to fit an additional focusing ring with a handle to turn, if something like this is available.

How you guys are managing it?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why don't you turn the flash around and use it the way you like it? The horizontal bar part comes off at the bracket. Loosen the stainless steel strap and put it the other way and remount the bar....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used multiple potato masher/hammer head flashes on various 35mm cameras over the decades. It's always mounted on the left side, just support the weight of the camera and flash on the heel of your left hand and focus with your left fingers. Right hand grips the camera as usual.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Why don't you turn the flash around and use it the way you like it? The horizontal bar part comes off at the bracket. Loosen the stainless steel strap and put it the other way and remount the bar....
    I will try but I do not know how easy to cock and fire the shutter. Unless, I have very nice motor drive.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have always use my hammer head, a 60CT4, on the left side and did what Bob said. It's a bit uncomfortable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cradle your camera in your upturned left palm, with the fingers of your left hand pointing forward and making contact with the bottom of the focussing ring on the lens.

Most likely you will need to brace your left elbow against your stomach/chest.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Matt said, and that is where your left elbow belongs when supporting a heavy camera/ lens combo, like a Pentax 645 with a 300mm tele on the front of it along with or without a big flash unit.

Never had a problem advancing film or firing the shutter on any 35mm slr camera with a big flash. Right hand grips and guides the body, three fingers and palm grip the body, thumb on the advance lever and index finger on the shutter button. Left hand supports the weight and fingers do the focusing and tweek the aperture ring if needed.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    It is easily converted...I have two 45CL flashes, one mounted left and the other mounted right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is very easy to mount it on right-hand side and with that it is easy to cock the shutter to some extent but the real pain is accessing the exposure button.

Nevertheless, I will mount it on right hand side and try to use the cord to release the exposure and see how difficult or easy it is.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Yes, it is very easy to mount it on right-hand side and with that it is easy to cock the shutter to some extent but the real pain is accessing the exposure button.

Nevertheless, I will mount it on right hand side and try to use the cord to release the exposure and see how difficult or easy it is.
    My 3 primary 35mm cameras all have motor drive and I do have the remote cord for them. I wonder how would I attach the button to the flash handle so it would work well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin