Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,387   Online: 1091

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If the camera has a flash shoe, why not buy a little rangefinder calibrated in meters to fit on the top. Voigtlander made some nice ones.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I'm buying a camera where all distance is done in meters. Well, schooling here standardized on feet. Any tricks any of you used to retrain you mind to evaluate in meters? I am aware of the conversion 3 feet = .91 meter, just currious if there are any "tricks" or things that help get the mind to convert faster?
    Don't bother converting. Just learn to think in meters. Or seconds pendula.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Your nose to the end of your outstretched arm is about a metre. Or fingertip to fingertip of two outstretched arms (both on the same person!) will be about two metres.

Steve.
    A seconds pendulum is very close to one meter long from point of suspension to center of oscillation.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    EvH - True but don't they say when learning a language we always think in our native language then translate? I natively speak English but when I speak to someone in Spanish my mind still thinks in Enlish then gets the word...sí?

My camera will measure in meters (Contax G2) but I'm just looking for pointers to think metric.

I've some great pointers above too!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    EvH - True but don't they say when learning a language we always think in our native language then translate? I natively speak English but when I speak to someone in Spanish my mind still thinks in Enlish then gets the word...sí?

My camera will measure in meters (Contax G2) but I'm just looking for pointers to think metric.

I've some great pointers above too!
    When you are using a camera that gives both meters and feet, say an slr, pay attention to the meters scale and some object you are familiar with, so you know what that object looks like at that distance. You'll make the shift easier than you might think. Did you know that the metric system has been legal for trade in the U.S. since 1866?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    EvH - True but don't they say when learning a language we always think in our native language then translate?
    I think that you can only really consider yourself fluent in a second language when you can speak it without translating it to your first language in your head. In that case, I'm not quite fluent at French yet!

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Did you know that the metric system has been legal for trade in the U.S. since 1866?
    But has it ever been used?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Chillicothe, "Home of Sliced Bread", Missouri
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted the US to adopt the metric system back in the 1780s... Would have made life better for many of us...
    Cameras.
    Nikon F2a (semi-retired), Nikon 28mm, Sigma 500mm f8, Vivitar Series I 70-210 zoom
    2 Nikon N90s one 70 - 300 AF Macro, one 100 - 300 AF)
    Nikon N90 w/ 100 - 300 AF lens, 24-50 AF, 35-70 AF
    Mamiya C220 80mm f2.8, 180mm f4.5, 135mm f4.5, 65mm f6.5

Three Sony Mavica Digital cameras, and a Fuji FinePix S2800HD I got after the partner died.. HP Photosmart E327
    and some Bushnell Binoculars with digit camera built in.
    Omega Super Chromega C-700 6X7 enlarger with 50mm and 80mm lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That holds true during the learning stage, but then at some point you become fluent, and there is no longer a need for the translation. Of course, that is, until you stumble on a word you don't know in the second language.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeehound View Post
    Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted the US to adopt the metric system back in the 1780s... Would have made life better for many of us...
    That was Jefferson, in 1790.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

But has it ever been used?

Steve.
    Yes. Among other applications, General Motors used it on some fasteners in their engines, in the late 1980s. Other fasteners in the same engines were still SAE inch standard; this is true but I will not be surprised if you don't believe it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin