Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,275   Online: 804

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    When you are using a camera that gives both meters and feet, say an slr, pay attention to the meters scale and some object you are familiar with, so you know what that object looks like at that distance. You'll make the shift easier than you might think.
    I like that one! I've a SLR that has both. I don't have the G2 yet (which only demarcates what it measures in meters), this is a great hands on way. Why is the most simple sometimes the least obvious...

Thanks all for the pointers! Fun discussion!

If only [edit Jefferson] got his wish, but then again we wouldn't be having this conversation. What I like some much about this conversation is it's the ultimate analog discussion. Seeing the world in numbers, algorithms, etc. neat'o in my book!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I like that one! I've a SLR that has both. I don't have the G2 (which only demarcates what it measures in meters), this is a great hands on way. Why is the most simple sometimes the least obvious...

Thanks all for the pointers! Fun discussion!

If only Franklin got his wish, but then again we wouldn't be having this conversation. What I like some much about this conversation is it's the ultimate analog discussion. Seeing the world in numbers, algorithms, etc. neat'o in my book!
    What's particularly fascinating is that this thread is in the "exposure" forum.

And, it wasn't Franklin. It was Jefferson. Some will have you believe that the universe was constructed from blueprints drawn up by Benjamin Franklin; this cheapens his considerable real accomplishments.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I thought long and hard where to post this thread, it relates to zone, hyper focal distance, thought it nice in exposure section. I thought RF originally but wanted a broader discussion. Where wd you propose it?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I thought long and hard where to post this thread, it relates to zone, hyper focal distance, thought it nice in exposure section. I thought RF originally but wanted a broader discussion. Where wd you propose it?
    In the (non-existant) "Focus" forum, of course.

Actually, from some questions I've read and more than a few photos I've looked at, a "Focus" forum would be utterly appropriate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeehound View Post
    Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted the US to adopt the metric system back in the 1780s... Would have made life better for many of us...
    I wasn't born in the US and thus I was familar with the metric system rather than feet and inches. But to get used to feet I would think about sizes of things in term of feet. Eventually you will get used to it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being English, I use both.

Metric at work for engineering drawings, etc. and Imperial at home for larger construction projects, etc.

Our shops generally sell things in Kg as they were banned from using Imperial a few years ago although that is now allowed again.

All road signs are in miles and yards - I think there is a law which states that they must be.

We also use feet and inches to express our height and unlike the US which just uses pounds for personal weight measurement, we use stones and pounds. So an American who weighs 171 pounds would be 12 stone and 3 pounds here.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    When are they going to come out with a camera lens with focusing measurements in Smoots?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot

Interestingly enough, the Oliver R. Smoot referenced in the above article was president of the International Standards Organization (ISO), so why cant a Smoot be a standard unit of measure?
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    When are they going to come out with a camera lens with focusing measurements in Smoots?

Interestingly enough, the Oliver R. Smoot referenced in the above article was president of the International Standards Organization (ISO), so why cant a Smoot be a standard unit of measure?
    I have quite a few lenses with no focussing scale at all.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post

Haaa! Never knew of a smoot, since Google recognizes it I don't see why not?

Google Calculator also incorporates smoots, which it reckons at exactly 67*inches (1.7018 meters).[1] Google also uses the smoot as an optional unit of measurement in their Google Earth software.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guestimate yards with the assumption my accuracy is within the few inches difference between yards and meters, then try to avoid a wide open aperture! I did finally acquire one of those shoe mount rangefinders, but that's yet another fiddly thing to mess with. (I wanted one of the Voigtländer jobbies, but they seem to sell for about twice what I was willing to pay.) I've screwed up the distance occasionally, but not often enough to get excited about it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin