Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,423   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Any tricks to thinking in meters than feet

I'm buying a camera where all distance is done in meters. Well, schooling here standardized on feet. Any tricks any of you used to retrain you mind to evaluate in meters? I am aware of the conversion 3 feet = .91 meter, just currious if there are any "tricks" or things that help get the mind to convert faster?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Estimate in feet and divide by 3 as an approximation.

Or if the camera has a range finder, multiply the distance by 3. That will be close enough.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3m is so close to 10ft it's a good conversion.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1 meter = 39.37 inches or just .005 shy of 39 3/8.

Either call it 39 inches and add 3/8 per meter or call it 40 in and subtract 5/8 per meter.

e.g. If you have 7 meters, that is 7 * 40 (or 280 inches) less 35/8 (or 4 inches) so the estimate would be 280 - 4 or 276 inches. Divide by 12 to get feet. (23 feet.)

You can also say that a meter is equal to a yard plus 3 3/8 in.

e.g. 12 meters is the same as 12 meters or (36 feet) plus another 36 inches (or 1 yard.)

It's a lot easier to do in your head than to explain it in words. Just think about it for a minute then you'll be able to "see" meters as yards and feet or vice versa.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    for purposes of accuracy with a non-rangefindered guestimation distance camera you may safely assume that you are about two meters tall. Think your body length on the ground and set accordingly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    for purposes of accuracy with a non-rangefindered guestimation distance camera you may safely assume that you are about two meters tall. Think your body length on the ground and set accordingly.
    Funny. Thats exactly what I do.

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    Yeah, but it's harder to take the picture lying on the ground.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can think of one meter (very close to twice the short side of a 20x24 inch print) as the approximate equivalent of one yard. Find something common, that's around one meter long, then think about it always when it comes to meters. When I have trouble with feet, I think of the roughly one foot ruler (30 cm long or 12 inches).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your nose to the end of your outstretched arm is about a metre. Or fingertip to fingertip of two outstretched arms (both on the same person!) will be about two metres.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    maybe it's easier for you to think in yards rather thanmeters,a yard is about the sameas a meter,and a meter is about equal to a big step.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin