Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,968   Online: 910

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd suggest 1 sec, 1/2 sec and 1/4 sec

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen the effect put to use in the recent past (2000s) in press photos that have won in some of the prestigious national contests (but which I cannot source, to some frustration). These pictures are very similar to the one the OP inquires about.. I doubt very, very much that the image in question is anything more than simply what has been presented - a well (or fortuitously) timed and slow exposure.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm not expecting to win any prestigious national contests... But I took out a roll of Panatomic-X from the freezer because I'll need slow film to pull this off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Geez, you guys.
    It's very obvious how this picture came about.

The pedestrian exploded.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Geez, you guys.
    It's very obvious how this picture came about.

The pedestrian exploded.
    Of course! There's some guys playing with fireworks in my town tonight. Maybe I can recruit a volunteer from one of them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I do that all the time http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=42554

Really, this is Tri-X, on a miserable, rainy day. If I remember correctly, shot at 1/15 or thereabout, handheld of course If you notice, all feet can be seen firmly planted and distinguishable, but the bodies of all beings on the left are not. They were walking fast to escape the rain. The only manipulation here is the heavy burning in and high contrast to emphasize the feeling of movement and the person sitting on the bench in the middle, perfectly still.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've done this before. The important point is that foot on the ground is stationary while the rest of the body is moving. You want somewhere around 1/4 to 1/2 second depending on the walking speed. Open the shutter when the shoe hits the ground, close it again as they're about to lift it.

Here's mine, though different perspective:

It was an RZ in normal shutter mode; I opened too early and closed too late. You can see the next step and the foot is a little transparent. Should have used B-mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i wish i had my example, it was a guy mopping the floor
    1/2 second exposure, i think tri or plus x .. with above merc vap lamps ..
    it was done at a federal installation the floor glistened, and there were just legs

its now in the federal archives / library of congress

have fun bill !
    john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I've done this before. The important point is that foot on the ground is stationary while the rest of the body is moving. You want somewhere around 1/4 to 1/2 second depending on the walking speed. Open the shutter when the shoe hits the ground, close it again as they're about to lift it.

Here's mine, though different perspective:

It was an RZ in normal shutter mode; I opened too early and closed too late. You can see the next step and the foot is a little transparent. Should have used B-mode.
    Overnight I realized this too... B is the secret... With a rangefinder watch the pedestrian walk into the frame, keeping beat with the walk, Open after foot goes down and Close before foot goes up... Let the latitude of film make up for the random shutter speed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Forgot I have no sense of rhythm... Between first and second set I switched lenses and forgot to set f/16... so one set is going to be a bit overexposed. Reluctant subjects...

But it was fun. One of my pedestrians yelled up at me... "Silver?" We talked for a bit then his son walked by for me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin