Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,633   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Film rating dilemma: suggestions from Delta 400 shooters.

I've been offered a trip to Scotland out of the blue tomorrow and the only film I have in the fridge is Delta 400, which I haven't tested yet.

I've only shot Delta 100 in the past, which I rate at ISO 50. I know Ilford are very consistent, but would it be foolish to rate Delta 400 at 200 with this in mind?
    Should I go one step further and rate it 100? Does anyone else shoot both films, and what speed do you rate each? I'd like to get some relatively well exposed images on this trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had good luck just rating it at 400. I guess that's not really helpful though.
    How does your Delta 100 come out when you shoot it at 50? Just curious.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using Delta 400 (120) for many years @400 ISO and have been very pleased with the results. I develop in ID11 either full strength or 1:1 and at times adjusting the dev. time for contrast but usually at Ilford's suggested time/temperature. I would stick to their recommendations until you have time to test what might work best in your hands.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalbrecht View Post
    I've had good luck just rating it at 400. I guess that's not really helpful though.
    How does your Delta 100 come out when you shoot it at 50? Just curious.
    Properly exposed, full shadow detail. I'm a bit of a zone system slave you see, so I've calibrated Delta 100 to my light meter. Haven't done this with Delta 400 yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. I may have to give that a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Delta 400 is a little 'awkward' in the highlights; not sure how to exactly put my finger on it. If you use the film at EI 200 instead of its ISO rating of 400, all you do is push the entire tone curve up toward those awkward highlights.

To try to explain; even when using compensating style development, by slowing down agitation, which compresses the highlights, and shot at box speed, I often find myself burning a lot of highlights with Delta 400. I have not had that happen with Delta 100, which has highlights that seem to have a very linear response to exposure. In the right hands I'm sure Delta 400 is just fabulous and gives amazing results; all I'm saying is I'm having a bit of a hard time with it. I've used it with Rodinal, DK50, and replenished Xtol. Even after adjusting for high contrast by shortening the development time appropriately, and slowing down agitation, I just don't like how the highlights print. It could be a matter of taste, but it's as though there is a normal tone scale until I get to the very brightest highlights, and they block up.

If I were you I think I would start using it at its rated speed. Then, after your trip, purchase another roll of Delta 400 and shoot that at 400 as well. Then develop your test roll first, to see if you need to make any adjustments before you develop your important film. Good luck!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Delta 400 is a little 'awkward' in the highlights; not sure how to exactly put my finger on it. If you use the film at EI 200 instead of its ISO rating of 400, all you do is push the entire tone curve up toward those awkward highlights.

To try to explain; even when using compensating style development, by slowing down agitation, which compresses the highlights, and shot at box speed, I often find myself burning a lot of highlights with Delta 400. I have not had that happen with Delta 100, which has highlights that seem to have a very linear response to exposure. In the right hands I'm sure Delta 400 is just fabulous and gives amazing results; all I'm saying is I'm having a bit of a hard time with it. I've used it with Rodinal, DK50, and replenished Xtol. Even after adjusting for high contrast by shortening the development time appropriately, and slowing down agitation, I just don't like how the highlights print. It could be a matter of taste, but it's as though there is a normal tone scale until I get to the very brightest highlights, and they block up.

If I were you I think I would start using it at its rated speed. Then, after your trip, purchase another roll of Delta 400 and shoot that at 400 as well. Then develop your test roll first, to see if you need to make any adjustments before you develop your important film. Good luck!
    Thanks very much. I'd heard similar things about the highlights. Box speed it is then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use quite a bit of Delta 400 and would suggest you rate it at 320 EI that will be a better natch to your Delta 100 @ 50EI

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used both Delta 400 and HP5+ and with both of the Ilford 400 films I find they are better at 320 than 400, better shadow detail and better contrast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I shoot it at box speed and develope it in stock ID11 and am generally happy with the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin