Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,817   Online: 710

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    It makes no sense to offer a spotmeter function, when you are at the flash to trigger the flash, and not able to aim the meter where you want!
    Irrelevant as regards the Sekonic meters, since they have wireless trigger capability and can fire the flash from anywhere.

The same function is available with these and other spot meters using wired trigger.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I very much prefer and recommend the Sekonic L-558 (or L-558R) meter*.

It does everything, including incident and 1° spot, for ambient, flash, or a combination thereof.

The L-758 is similar but with many unneeded bells and whistles (e.g. USB interface), at a much higher price.

The L-558 is unfortunately no longer made (replaced by the L-758) but is readily available used for around $350.

- Leigh

*Note:
    The basic L-558 requires an optional plug-in radio transmitter to trigger flash in wireless mode (PocketWizard compatible).
    That transmitter is factory-installed in the L-558R (that's what the R suffix means).
    As with the PocketWizard itself, different transmitters are used in different parts of the world. Be sure to get the right one.
    Last edited by Leigh B; 09-02-2012 at 09:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Why a spot meter? It has its place in non-flash for measuring individual luminances, but why do that with ambient/flash illumination?
    For measuring lighting ratios. This can be done with any type of light, or mix of light types.

- Leigh

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I very much prefer and recommend the Sekonic L-558 (or L-558R) meter*.

It does everything, including incident and 1° spot, for ambient, flash, or a combination thereof.

The L-758 is similar but with many unneeded bells and whistles (e.g. USB interface), at a much higher price.

The L-558 is unfortunately no longer made (replaced by the L-758) but is readily available used for around $350.

- Leigh

*Note:
    The basic L-558 requires an optional plug-in radio transmitter to trigger flash in wireless mode (PocketWizard compatible).
    That transmitter is factory-installed in the L-558R (that's what the R suffix means).
    As with the PocketWizard itself, different transmitters are used in different parts of the world. Be sure to get the right one.
    I'd add that you need to be clear on the trigger frequencies of the gear involved: "CE" spec meters need CE -spec trigger modules+triggers; same goes for FCC spec meters+modules. CE and FCC stickers appear on the backs of meters--FCC is the standard for N. America. Mix-n-match isn't an option. No worries if you don't intend to use a wireless trigger system.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why a flash spot meter? I know it has limited uses. I used it for testing more than anything. I don't want to elaborate in that. I once needed the spot flash meter because I lighted a large aquarium from the top but I couldn't put the incident meter where the fish are. Poisson if I am not mistaken, you seemed to indicate that flash meters are only incident type? Flashmeters are available in both spot and wide angle reflective although they are not very useful but I wouldn't say there is no use for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Speaking of which, read the instructions for the L758; there is no design shortfall regarding the dome being retracted for specific flat-plane work — it's the skill one should have to use it correctly.
    Excellent suggestion. After reading your post I checked out the manual and did not pick up on anything that would seem to dispel, clarify or correct my suspicions about the retracting half-dome. Is there a page in this manual that I can be referred to? Really, I am not trying to be a butt head, I just want to drive to the best answer. The manual is too fat to upload, so here is a link:

http://www.maranatha.it/photo/L-758.pdf
    Last edited by jaydub; 09-02-2012 at 11:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    ...I checked out the manual and did not pick up on anything that would seem to dispel, clarify or correct my suspicions about the retracting half-dome.
    L-758 manual (English) page 13:

4. Basic Operation
    .. 3. Incident Measurement Mode
    "3. When the Lumisphere is retracted (flat diffuser function)
    This is used to measure manuscripts, paintings or other flat copy."

Not exactly hidden or encrypted.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I understand the mechanics. Read my original post regarding retracted half dome vs. flat diffuser and why the earlier might not be very accurate. Your response doesn't really answer the question and the manual sheds very little light. Most useful answer will probably come from someone tests their equipment in a similar way. Again, not trying to be a butt head. But easy answers to complex questions just don't satisfy. Otherwise, I could have figured it out.
    Last edited by jaydub; 09-03-2012 at 12:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    Most useful answer will probably come from someone tests their equipment in a similar way.
    The most useful answer comes from the manufacturer's manual.

The product was designed and tested by individuals far more competent than any on this board,
    using calibrated test equipment and standardized facilities and procedures.

What is your basis for questioning their results? What qualifications do you have for doing so?

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can barely get my head around why this (retracted dome) is or could be perceived as an issue or something likely to give rise to errors. I have to agree with Leigh, above. Have errors actually been observed through using the flashmeter this way? If so, how were the results qualified as directly related to the collar around the retracted dome? Or are we boxing at shadows?

I am particularly intrigued by this:

In such cases, the Sekonic and Gossen would seem to inject a lot of error into the measuring process.
    Speculation is one thing, but results from actively experimenting should answer the question.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin