Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,949   Online: 883

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems to me that Sekonic and Gossen both approached the challenge the same way, in the name of user friendliness. What's easier to do: 1) twist a knob or 2) remove one disk and replace it with another. The answer is obvious. If I were a product designer thinking about the end user, I would be tempted to go with the knob solution myself. But just think of the physics of the problem. Oblique lighting.....and a diffuser hiding in a well? Does that sound like a like the best solution possible? Maybe they've got it all figured out, they've done the physics, implemented the calculus, and I'm being too smart. I admit, this is speculation on my part as I've not done tests. That's why I'm posting this question, before I buy. Perhaps I should shut up.
    Last edited by jaydub; 09-03-2012 at 02:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    I admit, this is speculation on my part as I've not done tests.
    Stop and think about what you're saying.

You're asserting that two of the most experienced, highly-respected and proficient manufacturers of light meters
    in the world made fundamental design errors in their products.

And your assertion is based on idle speculation.

Would you care to wager some money on who's right?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chrysler and Ford thought they had winners with the K-car and Pinto. User experience tells us something different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consumer demand for a car model has absolutely nothing to do with proper design. I had a K-car and it was a fine auto.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He he he. If you believe that a K-Car was a fine auto, then, pretty much, end of discussion. At the same time, I do appreciate the dialogue. I guess I'll just have to buy and find out for myself. But honestly, what is your intuition, on a design basis. Let's assume your next door neighbor designed it, not Sekonic or Gossen. Does it, on the surface, seem like a logical design?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it does. I had a long successful career as an engineer, with many significant products to my credit,
    so I do have some experience in the field.

And you?

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a curious and questioning mind. You seem somewhat defensive. I'm just posing a question. Nothing to get too up in arms about. Why does the Sekonic/Gossen design seem OK to you, as compared to Minolta? That's what I'd like to know, given your design background.
    Last edited by jaydub; 09-03-2012 at 03:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Yes it does. I had a long successful career as an engineer, with many significant products to my credit,
    so I do have some experience in the field.

And you?

- Leigh

Pipe down please.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own and use both the Minolta and the Sekonic, with no noticeable difference between them.

And how do you compare them? Oh, I forgot, you don't own either.

Since this has degenerated to an obvious troll, I'm outa here.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I own and use both the Minolta and the Sekonic, with no noticeable difference between them.

And how do you compare them? Oh, I forgot, you don't own either.

Since this has degenerated to an obvious troll, I'm outa here.

- Leigh

Permit me to point out to you something you have overlooked (I am not speaking for the OP, just in case). I have been the owner of a L758D for 5 years and teacher others additive/subtractive/basal spot metering.
    Of course, the metering experience goes back to at least 1991 when it was the primary means of determining exposure as the owner of a Horseman 45FA. I don't concern myself with design pecularities. Just making bloody good photographs.

And finally Leigh, do remember that the inflammatory tone in this thread was introduced, unnecessarily, by you.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin