Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,559   Online: 998

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've given up asking people to take photos with my 'old' film cameras, they don't focus, can't use a viewfinder (where's the LCD?), wonder why there's no auto flash when shooting indoors and are incapable of winding on!

All my friends now don't even offer to take any shots with my cameras. They happily snap away with their 'phones and compact 'digicams', but refuse to handle my gear!

Was it really that long ago - have people forgotten how to use a basic film camera anymore?

I don't mind - just means that I can keep my gear solely in my hands now!

Christian
    Last edited by C.poulton; 09-04-2012 at 07:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Well, I work with computers all day every day and I've turned into a Luddite with regard to the rest of my life. I got rid of my cell phone years ago because the danged thing just wouldn't leave me alone. I love using my great grandfather's Weston light meter, converting from Weston emulsion speed to iso, converting the F value to a U.S. [universal system] aperture value on my 90 year old Kodak autographic with pre-flashed paper loaded... carefully leveled on the tripod, looking through that "mirrored" viewfinder, and firing it off with a cable release and counting off the seconds... Then I get the delicious thrill of wondering what it will look like when I develop it. I know a lot of you folks here do a lot more than that all the time with your photography.

But I was at a party a few months ago and someone handed me their phone and asked me to take a group picture. I didn't know which way to hold it, and then when I finally held it right, I had my fingers over the lens ( I had no clue where the lens was ). You were supposed to sort of tap at the screen to make it take the photo. So I guess I'm just the reverse of your experience. I'd be thrilled if a tourist handed me a manual focus camera, and giddy if they also handed me the light meter to get the exposure right...
    I have a Weston light meter too, and it seems to work just fine.
    The thing is, I don't know how to translate it to iso.
    Could you please tell me how to use it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Weston = 0.8 x ISO

So ISO 100 is 80 Weston, ISO 400 is 320 Weston, etc.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Even as a digital camera shooter, I set the focus and put it in Manual Focus, preset the framing via FL selection, I set the exposure, and I tell them merely to press the shutter button while being sure we are NOT dead center bullseyed in the frame...exactly what I do with a film camera: prefocus, set exposure, set FL, and hand them the camera telling them to ONLY press the shutter button while being sure we are NOT dead center bullseyed in the frame
    How I hate the way people compose! It, of course, has nothing to do with what kind of camera. When someone takes a photo for my Wife and I, we end up with heads in the middle of the frame and chopped off at the knees. AARRRGGG!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I don't think any of us here on APUG shoot film because it's easier. Most don't even shoot film because they feel it produces superior images. Film is a challenge, digital isn't. If you want nice clean grain-free images in gorgeous color (or converted monochrome) then digital is the way to go. If however, you relish the challenge and qualities inherent in film, then you shoot film.
    actually, i was just thinking this weekend that I DO get better results with film -- maybe it's just because my film cameras are Leicas while my digital is a pt and sht little panasonic thingy that is hard to aim, hard to shoot accurately because of the delay and makes me lazy, but I get a far higher percentage of keepers shooting film than I do digital, and they're better composed and exposed the way I want them to be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    By the way, where are the prints from these hoards of digital shooters? My sister in law used to photograph with a point and shoot film camera whenever she came to visit with my niece and nephews. Invariably I would receive prints in the mail a few days later. Alas, her old film camera finally bit the dust and now she shoots with a digital camera. I have yet to even SEE one print from that danged thing (let alone get to keep any). I suppose everyone is stupidly content with merely viewing the images on the back of the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Talking of digital camera users not knowing how to use film cameras...

A week or two ago I was down at Tower Bridge (been looking very pretty lately with the Olympic rings and so on and so forth) when a young couple asked me to photograph them with their camera phone. Except I didn't realise it was a camera phone so I turned it round and put the tiny lens to my eye, thinking it was the viewfinder. "Oh no", they said "you're supposed to hold it the other way round".

Needless to say, I felt a right twerp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dear View Post
    I have a Weston light meter too, and it seems to work just fine.
    The thing is, I don't know how to translate it to iso.
    Could you please tell me how to use it?
    This was answered above, and I agree about 1/3 stop slower for Weston. Here is a good reference:

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meter...eed_table.html

-Ned

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For colour, I just hand the exposed film to a good lab and get nice colour prints back.

Way easier than trying to do it with digital.
    Yeah, that.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    I do the 'stand here' too! But between my intention to use larger aperture and the volunteer's effort trying to add her/his own artistic touch it's 50-50 possibility to nail the shot.
    Tripod?

Cable release?

Self timer?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin