Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,411   Online: 1100

Shooter
    35mm

Exposing Ektar 100, Provia 400 and Efke 25/50

Howdy folks,

I shoot landscapes and some travel/street scenes using Canon FD 35mm (manual focus) cameras with manual exposure. Film is scanned on a Nikon CoolScan V. I've been changing how I meter from using the built-in meters to a Sekonic 558, generally spot metering, at least for the landscapes.

This is my simplified approach for most daylight scenes (using grads as necessary on the slides):

• With Velvia, I typically meter the highlight where I desire detail and then expose at +1 to +1.5. Shadow detail is pretty good down to about -2.5.
    • With Provia 100, I do the same but expose at +1.5-2. Shadow detail is pretty good down to about -3.
    • With Acros or 400H, I meter the shadows and expose -2-3 and let the highlights go where they will.

I haven't had time to experiment with the Ektar 100, Provia 400 or Efke 25/50 and I'm going to be shooting some while I travel in Latin America (I'm on the road now).

Questions:
    1. From reading about the Ektar, I think I would get good results treating it like the slides but exposing at +3 to 4 over the metered highlight. This sounds extreme but folks seem to describe good luck with Ektar's range.
    2. Can I treat Provia 400x like Provia 100 (aside from changing ISO on the meter)? I've seen some vague references to Provia 400x having extended range to highlights.
    3. I have the impression that I should treat Efke 25/50 more delicately than Acros after reading some references to it's range being somewhat contracted. Recommendations?

Datasheets (I'm still trying to figure out how to read & interpret datasheets for my style of exposure):

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's an article that better explains how I expose contrasty film like Velvia on landscapes. Jon Brock uses slightly different values than I do but this may explain my question better.

http://www.jonbrockphotography.com/s...358_25391.html

Assume normal development - being 36 exposure rolls of film I don't usually have the luxury of custom development like the sheet guys do. I rely on my scanner to do the best I can.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin