Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,406   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Does Anyone Use the Wm Mortenson Method?

That is, expose for the highlights in B&W and let the shadows work themselves out, so that you can leave the negs in the developer for an indefinite time and never worry about overdevelopment short of base fog?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You have checked out the article on Unblinkingeye.com and/or the pg.s 142-145 of
    Barry Thornton's "Edge of Darkness"?
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    That is, expose for the highlights in B&W and let the shadows work themselves out, so that you can leave the negs in the developer for an indefinite time and never worry about overdevelopment short of base fog?
    From what I've read, Fred Picker of Zone VI fame eventually evolved to exposing for Zone VIII but I don't believe he did the total development thing like Mortensen. I always found it ironic that a zonie singing praises of Ansel would also advocate an exposure technique shared by the Antiansel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    You have checked out the article on Unblinkingeye.com...
    I had not seen this one before: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Mo...mortensen.html based on a later Mortensen book than mine ("Projection Control" from the 30's)

thanks!

Has anyone on APUG done this? (BTW, I'd rate Gibson as a user/abuser of Mortenson's "unacceptable" 9-D combo)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Bjorke

My first year in photo-college 1973, we were forced to do a negative ring a round and a paper ring around that looks alot like this article, I did not have a clue at the time the purpose of this experiment.
    I think if I did one now I would have a better appreciation on push and pulls with over , under and normal exposures.
    We also were forced to do a colour ring around from nuetral density and colour and the results are quite amazing.
    Still do colour ring arounds with interns here and I will force them to do a black and white ring around after looking at this article.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wasn't Mortenson the arch-nemesis of the f64 group?

As for exposing for the highlights, I have done this on several occassions while photographing the new mexico landscape, and I have great results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This post got me looking on my bookshelves. I have the first edition, 6th printing of Pictorial Lighting by Mortensen. A very neat book.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Wasn't Mortenson the arch-nemesis of the f64 group?

Well with at least two of the group- Adams and Weston. The rest of the group, I haven't run across their opinion in writings. In "letters and Images" you get a flavor of the caustic feelings of both. An in one set of interviews, Adams refers to Mortensen as the "anti-christ"of photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfobrien
    This post got me looking on my bookshelves. I have the first edition, 6th printing of Pictorial Lighting by Mortensen. A very neat book.
    That is one of the two best sources for an explaination of his exposure system. I've noticed that the whole secret is the fact that rearly does he go over a lighting ratio of 4:1. He take a flat subject and expands the mid tones
    and highlights. BTW, Barry Thornton did try the Mortensen technique with a ringlight("Edge of Darkness"; pg.s 142-145).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I often give highlight readings as much attention as shadow readings, I haven't tried Mortenson's technique as such. Sounds very much like "stand" development on steroids - parallel, perhaps, to the "aging" of food in Tupperware containers at the back of the fridge.

The technique does sound interesting, though, and potentially useful in certain circumstances. But, techniques, like tools, (I believe) should be used for the things for which they are effective, but not elevated to a religion.

The apparent conflict between Mortenson and the f64 boys strikes me as similar to the rivalry between the realist and impressionist schools in painting. Too much time spent narrowly thinking about technique, and not enough about producing images in styles befitting the subject.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin