Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,633   Online: 1051

Thread: Overexposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Overexposure

A friend shot Portra 160, 400, and 800, all with the camera ISO set to 100. The guy at the counter at Central Camera in Chicago says to develop normally because pull-process will change the colors. What should he do? BTW, this was a low-budget wedding that he shot for free for a friend.

He's pretty new with film and I thought he was nuts doing it, but I guess they can't complain about the price.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 160 will be great with standard processing.

The 400 will be fine with standard processing.

The 800 will be quite usable with standard processing, especially if it was used with mixed light sources (where the colour response is unpredictable anyways).
    Last edited by MattKing; 10-08-2012 at 10:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Normal is what I'd do too.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've pulled process C-41 with great results, but its usually something I do with old/age-fogged or particularly grainy film, not needed in this case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Even the 800 is only 3 stops over, which for C41 negative is just fine. If he's scanning, they can easily be adjusted. I'd just process as normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now, if he'd shot them all with the camera set at 800, that would be a different story.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, thank you all. Your info has been passed on and taken a lot of worry out off his mind. I figured the 100-160 difference was so small that it wouldn't even be noticed and have seen some shots, either here or on flickr, where people pushed the 400 by 2 stops and it looked alright. The 800 was a bit worrying.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Color neg has long been known for well tolerating overexposure, and less well tolerating underexposure (muddy shadows).... -1 to +3EV is the exposure range well tolerated by color neg materials! I would leave all the films alone and go with standard processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Picking up film tomorrow. Thank you all.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin