Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,481   Online: 749

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    35mm photographers rarely win the fine art label from critics because their negatives are too small and heads too big.
    But we can but try.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think "Fine" is to distinguish it from "Applied" arts when it comes to field of study or work. That's one explanation.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But we can but try.
    You don't have to. 35mm photos are often considered fine art. Most of your major fine art photographers from the 50s on shot 35mm.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fine Art is Fine Art, if you say it is, there really is no more to it than that. I mean, if I take a photo, call it "Fine Art", can anyone say it isn't?

The gear you are using is fine, if you're happy with it. All you need is a camera you like to use. I like my Leica M3, but that's gear-lust, it won't take any better photos than a $50 Pentax ME.

As for finding your photographic voice, I've no idea. Just try to take photos you want to hang on your wall is probably a good place to start.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But we can but try.
    Yeah, but not too hard... I think that's how their heads grow. Creative constipation.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do dream of moving upto medium and large format "if it fits my style" one day. My 35mm is a learning tool.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zackesch View Post
    I do dream of moving upto medium and large format "if it fits my style" one day. My 35mm is a learning tool.
    I would state that the other way round.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    What makes fine art photography "fine art" ? Well fine art is like ugliness, it's in the eye of the beholder. And frankly I have never seen any photography that I would consider fine art.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It means you are selling the final product for its own sake, visually, in contrast to commercial use.
    Whether it's worth anything or not is a different subject. Give a Stradivarius violin to someone who's
    tone-deaf and it will sound abominable, or even to someone who hasn't practiced a long time. But
    most of the time calling something fine art is either wishful thinking or sheer BS. If you've really got
    the DNA to be an artist, it will just come out in time. Don't worry about it - just learn to shoot and
    print pictures and see where it leads you. Don't waste time with any wannabee mentality or fluff-
    headed pigeonhole terminology. And anyone who judges another person's work according to a mere website probably doesn't know how to print anyway. That's for geeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't worry about how your work is defined. Just make the best images you can, edit very critically, and keep repeating the process. Acknowledgment will, or will not, come with time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin