Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,666   Online: 821

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's also extremely useful in organizing your negatives if you have detailed notes! It'll help finding what you want, and when discussing your images later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use exposure journal. Usually data which I write down varies. It might be just quick note describing subject or there might be lot of information about visualization, zones, SBR, lens, filters, my own mood, notes about subject, etc

However there's always the film cassette number and side (I use red and green dots for different sides of each numbered film cassette), camera, film, EI and lens.

So the journal also works as base of my negative archive. Also as an backup.

It's also useful when tracking down some problem like light leak. I can easily check the used film cassette etc.

On a longer trips it's sometimes like a full journal.

The one thing that I don't record on the journal is the development and printing data. Those are kept in different notes along the negatives.

Also, I don't like restrictive forms, so I write everything on plain notebook. Some 15 or 20 years ago I tried to use printed forms (like one introduced in Adams books) but it just didn't work for me.

Keeping notes is habit that I can't work without. I use separate note even for 35mm snapshots...

For a last; the journal also works as quick reference. In have resiprocity curves, filter corrections, etc. Information on it.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    as an alternative, i oftrn use a voice recorder to speak the xposure data. this is quick, and i can write it all down when i get back home without wasting valuable shooting time. this has proven o be lesshcumbersome than taking notes in the field.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here's my exposure record. Maybe it will be of use to the OP and others formulating one for themselves.
    I shoot sheet film, not roll film. Every set-up gets one of these exposure record sheets, but this often includes 2 or more actual sheets of film.

I made this in MS Word, and print them out one-sided. Other notes can then go on the back. After cutting apart and punching holes, they fit in a small six-ring pocket notebook, which is easily obtainable in the U.S. (I have another, slightly different format for Europe).

The exposure record stays with the negative through processing and is filed together in the binder with the neg. All my holders have a numbering system filed into the flap for easy ID.

The arithmetic values for the Zones are useful when making multiple exposures or pre-flashing. Important subject areas are identified and the exposure value from my meter entered under the appropriate zones. The bottom of the record is a worksheet for adjusting exposure for reciprocity, bellows extension and filter factors (I have tables for the first two in the same notebook) and is therefore more than just a record.

Although I agree with Ralph that often time is of the essence and keeping records gets in the way, I usually have time when determining exposure and after the shot to keep notes. It helps me to see graphically where the values fall on the Zone scale.

For roll film one would have to modify somewhat; perhaps making a sheet for several exposures.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Doremus Scudder; 11-22-2012 at 06:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just figured out how to attach my file. In case anyone else is interested
    Attached Files

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin