Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,872   Online: 1066

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Request for help in the name of love!

Hi all,

It's my anniversary coming up in a couple of weeks and I once again find myself turning to the APUG community for some old school help.

A few months ago I bought my partner a locket with the intention of creating a tiny platinum print of our daughter to go in it. The locket holds an elliptical picture approximately 20mm x 14mm. A busy time at work and home means that this hasn't happened yet.

Whilst it still seems like a nice idea, a new concept has just come to me. How much information could I store in that locket in the style of a microfiche? Could I create a large scale ellipse with the story of our lives contained within it and reduce it into her locket? I love the idea of buying her a microscope as a gift and secreting the microfiche in the locket without telling her. After a protracted period of confusion I could show her the locket under the microscope and reveal that the magnitude of my love for her and and the magnitude of my inner geek are well matched...

So my questions are:

1) What scale do I make the master document at?

2) How do I reduce whilst maintaining maximum detail?

3) What's a good bit of kit to let her see it? Being based in a locket, something that relies on reflected light rather than transmitted light would be great.

As ever, thank you everyone for your amazing knowledge,

J.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's better if you could create a single photograph that tell the story of your lives together. Yes not a collage of many photograph but just one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Theoretically....

You could print something on paper and take a macro shot of it onto a 35mm film. You could lay this film on a light box and take a macro shot of that and end up with a positive image. I've done the last half myself and actually ended up with a usable and high-resolution image. I used two rolls of ordinary Tmax100 for this purpose. I'm pretty sure you could photograph a normally printed 8 1/2 x 11 paper and end up with enough detail to read it later.

Your problem will be that it is not a reflective image, so it'll be really hard to read even with a microscope. The film may not survive being in the locket for long time either.

I'd keep it simple. A photograph, a few chosen words that mean something to both of you, etc.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I did a locket for my daughter a couple years ago, I picked up an auxiliary focusing device for the DII and made reductions from 35mm to Silver Gelatin FB (Galerie) paper. The negatives were one of our dog playing tag, and one of my wife and I when we were dating.

Originally I thought contact prints from 35mm would be nice. But compositionally, I found the two pictures and had to use the full frames - so reduction was the only option. And there really weren't any better pictures to use.

So in case you want to write a sonnet or poem or other love story, you could write it in calligraphy, decorate it, and then photograph it. If you don't have the "reduction" capability on your enlarger... You should plan to contact print it. So then the trick will be to shoot with the camera, not so "macro" close. Plan the shot to fit the locket as a contact print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might have to copy you guy's ideas for christmas!
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin