Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,131   Online: 1133

Shooter
    35mm

overexposed 'strips'

Hi everyone,
    I'm relatively new to film photography and so far I'm loving it. Over the weekend I tried out an old Nikon EM camera and on some images I got a weird overexposed strip. I attached two images to show you what it looks like. The images weren't important, so no big deal. However, I'm really interested to learn what exactly went wrong.

Here's what I know:
    1. It's not on every frame, just on 4 or 5 frames of the film.
    2. It's always located on the same side/position of the affected frames.
    3. All affected shots were made outdoor at maybe 0C/32F temperature.
    4. Of course it's on the negatives, too. So no error at scanning the negatives.
    5. I used Agfaphoto APX100 (the cheapest I could get my hands an for testing out the cam), Kodak HC-110, Adostop, Tetenal.

Number 1&2 make me think that there's something wrong with the camera. However, maybe one of you much more experienced guys can help me out here?

best regards,
    Søren

edit: I notice the attached images were rotated after uploading them. The first images is upside down. So the strips are always located on the 'shutter-side' of the camera(were I grip my right hand onto ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails film_scan118_copy.jpg   film_scan113 copy.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Two possibilities.

The camera may have a light leak, if so its probably the foam seals getting old and there are kits to fix that.

I did at one point buy a batch of cheap film that had not been handled well that gave a similar result.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    It is not a shutter fault (One set slow to close) because if it were the over exposed strip would be on the long edge. I would go along with a light leak, new foam sealing strips should cure the problem. The EM Model must be getting on for 30 years old so it is just about due.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the dark streak extend past the negative margins and into the perfery?

Does it happen on every roll of film?

Are the frames grouped together - say 4 frames at the beginning or the middle and the rest of the roll is OK? If they are grouped together does the streak happen every frame, every other frame or with some consistent gap between frames? You say the streak is always to the same side of the frame - but is it always in exactly the same place? If it varies, is the distance between the streaks constant?

Has the film been through any airport scanners?
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 12-03-2012 at 10:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be a lightleak past the foam, as has already been suggested. The foam near the latch is often the culprit.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-03-2012 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also go with a light leak through the foam. You could test this by sealing all around the edges of the film-loading door with black electrical/insulation tape. This should solve the problem if it's light leaking through the foam that seals the door. If this solves the problem then you should replace the foam seals.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin