Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,220   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Help with this photo

Hello everybody,

can you help with this photo?

CHS 100, Rodinal 1+50, 10 minutes, 20 C, Ilford agitation.

As far as I can see, exposure was right (speed is right, I see plenty of detail in shadows) but my dev time must have been short, mid tones are grayish and lifeless.

Or..?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foto.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm no expert on developing, but it looks pretty good to me,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I'm no expert on developing, but it looks pretty good to me,
    It looks good to me. Try dodging and burning to get the print that you want.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks OK to me as well. Can you be more specific about what you see as "grey and lifeless" midtones.

Tell us specifically what isn't there that you'd like to be there.

As another APUGer has asked, is this a print scan or a neg scan? If it is the latter then how do you know what a print will look like?

We are getting more and more " problems" on APUG which I suspect are to do with scanning rather than negs and subsequent prints

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    try a slightly longer exposure, maybe 50 percent, then burning in the brighter areas while dodging the shadow areas a titch, and knock your contrast up a notch.
    Last edited by summicron1; 12-03-2012 at 09:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The midtones look fine - it's your highlights that are gray and mushy. I'd try adding contrast - maybe just a half a grade to one grade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure how far I can go without being too digitally involved.

If this is a straight scan, it explains it. They always come out too flat. If you print it in darkroom, you are likely to find it's ok.
    What I think you need is more contrast. I loaded it into NX2 and slid the black point to the top edge of the histogram. The image improved significantly. So in darkroom term, bump up the contrast one to 1 1/2 grade and expose so you get a full range of tones.

To me, your biggest problems are faces. They are gray. They need to be much lighter and brighter.

Here's how I would print it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foto2.jpg  
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Scanners can be tricky. The better ones have sophisticated SW that have essentially built in mini-photoshop so you can work with the "raw" negative before it produces the jpeg.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The whites just need to pop some. Take the highlight slider in levels and move it in some. I would also lighten up some of that shadow area on the left.
    Last edited by Stephen Benskin; 12-04-2012 at 11:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin