Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 827

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    Bob,

For example, Minolta meters have an electrical switch which is activated or not activated when using the dome or reflected light attachment. Gossen meters have no switch, they simply have the dome over the sensor in incident mode or moved aside during reflected mode. Sekonic meters do not have such a switch.

I think Chan was thinking of the Minolta meter when he posted.
    Yeah my bad being familiar with the Minolta meters. I had the Luna Pro for about a few days before I broke it. Some of the older Minolta's have 2 pointers one for incident and another for reflected instead of a switch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Thanks very much for all of the input and interesting suggestions. Let me answer the questions posed:

Both meters are Luna-Pro meters. One on them had CdS written on the lower part of the face, and the other has no further information concerning the cell.

All readings were done in daylight, several different days, directly outside my front door in Florida. I moved from sunlight to shadows and took multiple readings with all meters.

The "white dome" was in the correct position each time.

Only incident readings were taken. I tend to use incident metering, and am very familiar with the foibles of using various metesr for incident readings.

Matt-I don't see any "transfer" scale on my meters. Perhaps I am missing something quite obvious? One simply reads the EV values, and moves the dial.
    I am judging the meters purely on where the red pointer moves when the measurement are taken.

Elliot
    You're using it incorrectly.

When all else fails read the instructions.http://www.butkus.org/chinon/flashes...n_luna-pro.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have read the instruction book several times. I must be missing something that you find very obvious. I would very much appreciate your telling me where I am making my mistake. Slide the white slider over the window.....take a reading....where is the error that you find is obvious?

See below....at this point, I am only interested in the EV values that the meter supplies for the highlights and the shadows. To be clear: Those values are very different from the high and low values supplied by the Sekonic.

Thanks again for helping.
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 12-18-2012 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Yes, I am aware of the different transfer scales. The silver scale is for those whose exposures can be set on a camera with a shutter that uses EV values.

Using BTZS methods one is only interested in the EV values for the high and low readings.

I must have misunderstood Matt's point....of course the "transfer scales" are the "dial"....

Again, I am interested in why the EV values as read on the Luna Pro are different from the EV values that are read on the Sekonic. Not interested at all, at this point, in the dial and the exposure that is determined from obtaining the exposure via the yellow arrow being lined up with the EV value that is read from the meter.

Simply the high and low values of incident readings with the Luna Pro meters....
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 12-18-2012 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    I have a couple of these meters also and use the battery adapters. First, the scale read by the pointer is not in EV; you must read the pointer scale, then rotate the dial to the pointer indicated number on the yellow scale (yellow triangle) and then read the EV below that with the black triangle.
    A quick check of accuracy: set ISO to 100, mode to incident reading (slide dome over center), aim at sun on bright sunny day. Reading should be 20 (plus/minus a smidge) on the pointer scale, set 20 on the yellow scale and EV should read 15. If this is so, all is well and the meter is accurate.

BTW, Gossen meters indicate about 2/3 stop higher than most Japanese calibrated meters. German meters use a different calibration protocol than Japan; German meters use 5600K vs. Japan's 3400K color temperature light sources (might be off a tad on the temps as I am recalling these numbers from memory).

The usual problem is that the protector/lens on the sensor gets cloudy from grunge/oils and the meter will read lower than normal. The meter has to be taken apart and the lens and protective cover need to be cleaned.

The Luna Pro is a great meter. The only drawback is that the meter has a bit of a 'memory;' if you have read a bright area and immediately read a much darker area, the meter needs several seconds to settle into the correct reading. This is inherent with all CdS sensors.
    This gentleman has already explained it.

OK....makes sense now. Obviously I am dyslexic.

A very sincere and genuine thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin