Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,485   Posts: 1,571,302   Online: 797

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

HELP ASAP! IR question before I fly out!

So I have a bunch if Rolllei IR film. I haven't been able to afford an IR Dark Red filter.

I have 2 regular red filters, one is B+W the other is Hoya, can I stack them to get a better IR effect and if so which should be inner and which outer?

Any other suggestions? I'm going to the Grand Canyon and want to take advantage if them of possible...

Thanks!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

OH and what EI should I be shooting at? I saw EI 25 somewhere for IR film rated at 400 ASA is that correct?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stacking might help a little, depending on exactly what the transmission curves of the filters are. The order doesn't matter, and without some testing I don't think you can really determine how well it'll work or what speed you should shoot at with them stacked.

Are they plain red or "deep red"? There's a comparison of red (#25) with IR (R72) at http://www.markcassino.com/b2evoluti...st_impressions; the red one doesn't show much of an IR effect, but the text notes that he didn't try a deep red filter.

Interestingly, you can produce a reasonable IR filter by stacking certain types of red filters with other primary colors, but the right combinations may only be available as gels rather than screw-on filters.

I suppose you could get an R72 filter overnighted to you at wherever you're staying. Good luck in any case, and remember, the place is spectacular even in plain ol' visible light!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Stacking the filters will not help! Either you have a proper filter, or you don't. If you have two regular red (25A) filters, don't bother with IR. You need #29 (B+W 091) or B+W 092. Or the Hoya R72. The Hoya R72 and B+W 092 are so dark you can barely see through them. The Cokin filter for Ilford has the same properties.

The only film that worked with 25A was Kodak HIE/HIR. Do not bother with any other film with that filter, because it just isn't that sensitive. Also, the speed of the IR response has nothing to do with the film's rating, and it varies between manufacturers.

Another problem is that the IR light reflected varies based on the vegitation. Deciduous trees and lawn grass reflect the most, and conifers and shrubs vary. Once again, Kodak had the best, and it's never been matched. Your results will vary, and will be useless without the right filter.

I have used between 3 and 12 for my IR. I bracket, starting at N, +/-1, +/-2. So five shots per scene.

Recommendation: this isn't the time to use IR. You need to experiment first and find out what works for you. The trees around the Grand Canyon will not be deciduous, and I doubt that you will get good results.

Oh, yeah: the tail end (black part) of E6 can be used as an IR filter. I've done it with Kodak, but I never tried it with the others. It might work. If you have some lying around, go ahead and try it, but you may need long exposure times.
    Last edited by Brian C. Miller; 01-05-2013 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Trees may not be deciduous, but you WILL cut haze.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have never done a haze test. I have, however, using either Ilford or Konica, photographed a scene with a mountain about fifty or sixty miles away with the B+W 092 filter. Everything was crystal clear. With a red 25A filter, I don't know if the film needs to be IR sensitive. That red has already cut out a lot of blue haze.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Thanks guys! Ugh! Anyone want to overnight me their 77, 67, or 58mm IR filter to borrow? Lol, send it general delivery to the Grand Canyon post office

I'll be there Tuesday to pick it up. Half kidding.

I don't have enough money left to buy one, and I suppose B&H will be open tomorrow but its like $150-$180 for the B+W dark red IR filter in 77mm which is what I would be buying...

Well the IR film is already packed and shipped now, wish I had that filter, I have a yellow filter, 2 reds and a yellow won't cut it huh? What if I add a polarizer hahaha

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it's called homework, and you didn't do it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    it's called homework, and you didn't do it.
    Actually I did, I knew about the Dark Red filter, the IR film has been in my freezer for months waiting for me to buy the filter, but I decided I wanted to throw a couple rolls in my shipping box and try it then figured it would help to know if the red stacking thing would work.

It's just such an expensive filter and I don't trust any other filters as I've had lots of issues with other brands ESPECIALLY Hoya in any humid conditions they fog up its the worst!

Anyway thanks guys...maybe I'll stack the Polarizer and Red Anyway and take my chances, the Pola will certainly cut some of the normal spectrum light... Who knows, oh well.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone, I have had zero issues with the Hoya R72, used it today in 15F, FYI...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin