Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,536   Posts: 1,646,086   Online: 875

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kenton, the scanned negative looks fine. It may even be a bit flat. I believe you are misinterpreting the printing results. I don't know why you are trying to tie in exposure with contrast. If the negative has some extra density, print it down. There is no set relationship between negative density and print density. Forget the just black test. You are confusing yourself. Take a step back. Now, just do a test strip. See how the image changes with exposure. Pick what appears closest to what you think is natural, then make a print at that setting.

I've inverted the negative and darkened the image some. You have a very usable negative.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenton Neg.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	62969
    Last edited by Stephen Benskin; 01-21-2013 at 09:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin View Post
    Kenton, the scanned negative looks fine. It may even be a bit flat. I believe you are misinterpreting the printing results. I don't know why you are trying to tie in exposure with contrast. If the negative has some extra density, print it down. There is no set relationship between negative density and print density. Forget the just black test. You are confusing yourself. Take a step back. Now, just do a test strip. See how the image changes with exposure. Pick what appears closest to what you think is natural, then make a print at that setting.

I've inverted the negative and darkened the image some. You have a very usable negative.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenton Neg.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	62969
    I did a few test strips. With a #2 filter I ended up with 10 seconds at f/22, which resulted in nice blacks. Thats the main issue. I shouldn't have to close down that far to get a decent shadow area out of a negative, off an incident reading in shade.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    I did a few test strips. With a #2 filter I ended up with 10 seconds at f/22, which resulted in nice blacks. Thats the main issue. I shouldn't have to close down that far to get a decent shadow area out of a negative, off an incident reading in shade.
    The 10 seconds at f/22 with a #2 filter is a function of your enlarger light source, not the film, exposure or development.

It is just too bright for this size of print (unless you are printing in volume).

EDIT: and this explains why you are having troubles with a "minimum exposure for maximum black" testing sequence - that only works well when you get results that are practical (e.g. 16 seconds at f/8).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The 10 seconds at f/22 with a #2 filter is a function of your enlarger light source, not the film, exposure or development.

It is just too bright for this size of print (unless you are printing in volume).
    The 75 watt light bulb I'm using for my Beseler 23c II is what the manual recommends. I've read nothing about swapping out different light sources for different sizes of prints. Not that I haven't thought of doing so. I wouldn't think an 8x10 print would be that unusual. What do you mean by, "printing in volume"?

Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I've done a little research and many others with the 23c are having the same issue. The fix seems to be, get a lower watt bulb, which is suppose to be hard to find, or use an ND Filter.
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, maybe I'll try a lamp dimmer switch.
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, maybe I'll try a lamp dimmer switch.
    Lamp dimmers can cause problems with the colour temperature of the light, especially if they are adjusted between printing sessions.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you mean by, "printing in volume"?

Thanks,
    If you were doing high quantities of prints in a production environment (e.g. think school photos) then short exposure times are important.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Stephen. There is nothing about this negative that should cause undue problems. I definitely has sufficient exposure, and after looking at it again, and Stephen's inversion on a better monitor it doesn't look contrasty either.

Something strange about this enlarging issue. 75w was always one of the standards in so many small/medium format enlargers. I used an Omega B66 for years with a 75w bulb and often made prints smaller than 8x10. Never had a problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Is this an appropriate time to emphasis the critical evaluation issue? Bumper sticker idea: Know your Theory!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin