Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,213   Online: 926

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    Hmmm, maybe I'll try a lamp dimmer switch.
    Lamp dimmers can cause problems with the colour temperature of the light, especially if they are adjusted between printing sessions.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    What do you mean by, "printing in volume"?

Thanks,
    If you were doing high quantities of prints in a production environment (e.g. think school photos) then short exposure times are important.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Stephen. There is nothing about this negative that should cause undue problems. I definitely has sufficient exposure, and after looking at it again, and Stephen's inversion on a better monitor it doesn't look contrasty either.

Something strange about this enlarging issue. 75w was always one of the standards in so many small/medium format enlargers. I used an Omega B66 for years with a 75w bulb and often made prints smaller than 8x10. Never had a problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Is this an appropriate time to emphasis the critical evaluation issue? Bumper sticker idea: Know your Theory!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin View Post
    Is this an appropriate time to emphasis the critical evaluation issue? Bumper sticker idea: Know your Theory!
    No, let it be.............but if you could show us a photograph of theory, now, that would be something.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Now kbrede,

If you were to pull the negative a little bit in the carrier so it shows a little air - you should get maximum black there - and it should be "close" to the maximum black of your film. This may rule out any impact "developing the film" may have confused you with.

(35mm has a higher density on purpose - but 120 usually is close to clear - so if you can get black on clear air you can get black anywhere).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    if you could show us a photograph of theory, now, that would be something.
    Every successful photograph I make shows theory. Isn't that the foundation of your defence of the Zone System? The quality of Ansel Adams' work is proof of the theory.
    Last edited by Stephen Benskin; 01-23-2013 at 08:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I attribute more of the quality of Adams's prints to hard work printing. If one reads his technical books carefully (particularly the margins where he describes what was done in the example image), many of his images/prints, including MOST of the famous ones, succeeded despite deviation from the techniques in the main body text. In many cases errors were made, or the negatives were made before the Zone System had been formulated, or when metering was approximate at best etc.

Considering the main body text would have you believe it is critical to expose and develop the negative with precision, to print on grade 2 etc, relatively few of the examples or his best loved images were made that way. His prints are all over the place, from grade 1 to grade 6. And in describing how the negatives were made, how often does he say "unfortunately...", "in retrospect it would have been better...", "I accidentally...", "I forgot...", "the cliffs moved into shadow during the exposure...".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would love to see you all in action taking photos. It would be great to see this, it would be a wonderful way to learn from each other. Certainly far better than reading books or writting about it.
    There are always situation where one is off from the so called ideal line. By mistake or because one is forced to from the situation. The knowledge or skill should be there to master those situations.
    However striving to get it going in the right direction would help in the long run.
    Maybe Adams got fed up with all the work in the darkroom that he wanted to perfect his work.
    Besides when I see videos of Adams he seems to be a jovial person, so that, well he may let things slip here and there. My sympathetic feeling I get listening to him.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Michael, it's not my proof. In fact, it's a logical fallacy. Did the sarcasm not come across?

I've been review Henry's book over the last few days. When I first read it, I didn't like how he kept referencing popular sources. Now, I think it was a smart move. Instead of simply ignoring them, he disproves their arguments. He does a great job at experimental research. I have a little trouble with some of his exposure and film speed theory and I wish he went into more detail on tone reproduction theory with the four quadrant graph, but you can't expect to agree on everything.
    Last edited by Stephen Benskin; 01-23-2013 at 09:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin