Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,573   Posts: 1,646,646   Online: 1012

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Michael, could you make my points from here on out? You do it so much better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is that sarcasm again? If not, I've only repeated what you've said. And no matter how well anyone presents these points, in the end these exposure threads are pretty much the only place this sort of thing can be discussed. Over in the Film/paper/chemistry and Enlarging forums when anyone raises these issues they get hammered. It has happened to me many times.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's sincerely meant to be a compliment. I wish I could make my points as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just wish more people read your stuff! I've certainly learnt a lot so far. And I find myself being much more careful when I say things about films, developers, characteristic curves etc. I try not to add any myths or faulty information to the craft.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thank you all for your thoughts and I will be reading more of all your stuff.
    One thing I have noticed over the years having read many books, from Feininger, Adams, Barnbaum, Ctein, Lambrecht, Davis to name the more well known is that a lot contradict each other.
    Many books just seem to copy what others have written in the past(not really meaning those mentioned above).
    This is all very confusing, especially for people starting out. I worked until recently in a professional darkroom and there I have enlarged many negatives which were in an awful state exposure and development wise.
    Not enought attention is given in my opinion to an important factor in the photography regarding exposure firstly and to a lesser degree development.
    Too much attention is given to cameras, special magical developers etc. The handcraft needed for exposure is negleted too much.
    Although for a few "mistakes" running in the wild out there I think aren't that bad since some of the information gets in a general good direction and should help even if not 100% correct.

This has also taught me to be sceptical and that led me to testing. I just hate reading long articles on the computer, it makes me giddy and nervous. I suppose I will print out a few things.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Is that sarcasm again? If not, I've only repeated what you've said. And no matter how well anyone presents these points, in the end these exposure threads are pretty much the only place this sort of thing can be discussed. Over in the Film/paper/chemistry and Enlarging forums when anyone raises these issues they get hammered. It has happened to me many times.
    Yes, It's sincere, Michael R 1974. You are really making clear posts that make sense.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To me, the most important "learning outcome" from reading Henry is a healthly skepticism. It reminds us much of what we read about photographic technique and materials has little in the way of evidence to back it up. And as Stephen has said many times, even when we are presented with data it is important to be given information on the testing procedures, otherwise it is difficult to conclude anything. Sometimes you read an article in a magazine and it looks really sound because is has tables and charts and curves. But what if there were all sorts of errors or sources of error, mistakes etc in the test? As we know there are many variables to manage, and as I've come to learn, designing a proper photographic test is not so easy.
    Michael, to put this into practice, someone should start a new thread where a given methodolgy is critiqued. The example should probably come from online to assure it's accessible to everyone. I think it would be fun, but I have a strange sense of fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. We certainly have a lot to choose from, including my own tests. Although the feedback we get from people might be quite negative.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Interesting. We certainly have a lot to choose from, including my own tests. Although the feedback we get from people might be quite negative.
    With a quick search, there's:

http://www.jerryo.com/formula/z_speedtest.html

http://www.halfhill.com/speed1.html

http://myplace.frontier.com/~cmp2f7cw/10/id1.html

http://www.lg4mat.net/page8.htmlhttp://www.davidkachel.com/historical/film_spd.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin