Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    "Power Dial" is the name of the product from The View Camera Store, not power wheel as I called it in the previous post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wm blunt
    GreyWolf,
    ...I use the little "Power Wheel" and it works great, take a reading in the shadows and one in open light, adjust the wheel and it gives you the exposure needed and tells you the SBR so you know how to develope the neg for what ever range you need....
    Quick question:

I bought "BTZS Lite" and understand how to figure out the exposure/SBR using the tool. But how do you know how to develop the negative -- if I recall the tool gives you the G-bar (average gradient) which is supposed to tell you how to develop the film. But I don't see any information mapping the G-bar to the development time. Do you need to purchase the ExpoDev Palm software to fully use "BTZS Lite"?

(I'm having trouble locating the tool, so I might be mis-rembering the G-bar.)

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't worry about the G-bar, I just figure dev. by using the SBR and recommendations from others that have done the testing. Such as Sandy Kings testing of pyrocat-hd for films I use or the dev. times for using D-76 from the Dick Arentz book. They may not be exact but they are very close. Both give recommended times for different SBR's to obtain a neg. for printing with palladium which is all I use. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't worry about the G-bar, I just figure dev. by using the SBR and recommendations from others that have done the testing. Such as Sandy Kings testing of pyrocat-hd for films I use or the dev. times for using D-76 from the Dick Arentz book. They may not be exact but they are very close. Both give recommended times for different SBR's to obtain a neg. for printing with palladium which is all I use. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the quick response.

I finally found my "PowerDial" for "BTZS Lite". It doesn't seem that the PowerDial can be used without the ExpoDev software. The PowerDial will give you the "G-bar" (average gradiant) which you use to determine the development time for the film. But this critical piece of information is missing: the PowerDial doesn't provide a mapping table for G-bar to developing time. In other words, you have no idea what time to use to develop the film.

I am planning to purchase the ExpoDev software once it is available on PocketPC (I've been waiting for months now -- not sure when the software will be available). In the mean time, would it be improper to ask for the "G-bar to developing times" for the following combinations (all 4x5 sheet film), assuming someone has this info:
    • XTOL (full-strength) & TMAX-100
    • XTOL 1:1 & TMAX-100
    • XTOL (full-strength) & TXP-320
    • XTOL 1:1 & TXP-320
    • HC110 Dil H & TXP-320
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    jmedlock,
    When I use the power dial I just turn the gadget over and find what the SBR is and use that to determine dev. time. I don't use the ExpoDev software but I'm sure it would work fine also.

Thanks wm blunt...

I will check into BTZS lite..and thanks for clearing that up.

As for anybody else reading this thread... I can honestly say that I have seen wm blunt's PT/Pd prints and if he is using this system..then it works.

Wm Blunt gets a wonderful tonal range in his Pt/Pd prints.

Kind Regards,
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

You make a good point about the availability of existing recommendations based on BTZS testing, which includes not only Dick Arentz and me but also the extensive data from tests done by Phil Davis that you get when you buy the WinPlotter program. Some of use like to do our own testing of course, but the fact is that if you use the same developers that Arentz, Davis and I do, and develop the film the same way, your developing times should be very, very close to what we came up with. Also, people who use WinPlotter can easily share files, as I have done this with quite a number of photographers.

Some of you may know that Michael Smith and I are working on a book about contact printing, and for the book I carried out a lot of testing of films using both Pyrocat-HD and ABC Pyro. One of the ideas I have is that people who buy the book will also be able to obtain WinPlotter files of all of this testing so that persons who own WinPlotter can just download the files and figure out development times for themselves.

I own and have used from time to time the Expo-Dev program but as a general rule I find it to be more trouble than it is worth for most of my field work. However, I do find it useful with very complicated scenes that include filter corrections, reciprocity and corrections for bellows draw. In these cases it would take me much longer to make the calculations manually than with Expo-Dev, and I would also not be as sure of the results.

Sandy

Hi Wm,
    Wonder if you would please explain what the "power wheel" is, I am not familiar with it and I dont think I have seen one in Australia.
    Kind Regards
    Leo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin