Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 663

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, I've been thinking about this problem a bit and researching it on my own (the moon that is). The moon reflects sunlight, and that includes IR. Grant it, it is only a small percentage of what the sun emits, but since IR photography is about capturing IR light reflected from objects, then the moon shouldn't be any different. My impression from astronomy sites is that there is more IR reflected than UV, so in all likelihood you could shoot the moon on IR film without a filter since you wouldn't need to filter out the uv light -- I've done this before with candlelight at night and there is a noticeable difference between regular B&W film and IR film (without filter) in how they render the subject.

This is just an (un?)educated guess as I am not an expert in any way on light or astronomy. If it were me I would shoot a few frames on B&W film and IR film so I could see the differences, if any. In there are none, then you know. (actually, I might try this myself the next time there's a clear full moon night)
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Do not bother shooting the Moon with IR film, it is a cold body.
    So are trees and yet they reflect plenty of IR from the sun, as do most rocks, of which the moon is constructed last I checked. Camera IR is shortwave (well under 1um) which means that the temperature of the body is irrelevant (unless very high) and you're relying on illumination from a hot source (sun).

If you want to see heat around the 20-200C range, you need a multiple-micron sensor and it needs to be refrigerated otherwise its own temperature (and longwave IR emissions from within the camera) will completely obliterate the image.

As to metering, the moon is "sunny-11" on a clear night, i.e. f/11 t=1/ISO, e.g. f/11 ISO100. So with IR820+R72 where 1s f/16 works in full sun, I would expect that 1s f/11 or variations thereon (1/8 f/4?) is probably about right to get a decent moon exposure depending on the rock composition. Exposures any longer than half a second will show very distinct motion blur unless you have a tracking mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format

IR question: Shooting the Sun and Moon in IR

I've shot the moon in IR... Meh...

Was at ASA 100 with a 300mm f5.6 lens.

Results were flat, and not near as interesting as visible light shot the same evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks all, I think based on ambaker (who actually did it) and the others who say it's not as reflective, I'm going to am for the sun...

As far as the RZ issue, I totally forgot about the whole shutter in the lens bit, I don't know why... DUH!

I only have IR film in 120 (except for 2 rolls of HIE I JUST acquired but I don't want to waste that on the moon or sun) so I guess I'll have to buy some Rollei in 35mm for this experiment.

So I have 36 exposures to play with, perhaps I'll shoot the sun AND a few frames of the moon just to be sure.

Polyglot that was very helpful, thanks.

Moose, I might take a few shots with no filter for the heck of it.

Thanks! NOW, since I don't need a telescope to use with my canon I need to find someone with a 600mm or 800mm lens... hmmm.... hehe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    So are trees and yet they reflect plenty of IR from the sun, as do most rocks, of which the moon is constructed last I checked.
    The appeal of common IR photography is not so much that it reveals IR light, but that IR light gets reflected in different amounts than visible light. That's where the black sky and the white trees come from.

If you look at the moon, it's homogeneous, all rock and dust. It is unlikely that an IR image of that surface will look much different from what we see in the visible light range.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    The appeal of common IR photography is not so much that it reveals IR light, but that IR light gets reflected in different amounts than visible light. That's where the black sky and the white trees come from.

If you look at the moon, it's homogeneous, all rock and dust. It is unlikely that an IR image of that surface will look much different from what we see in the visible light range.
    I'm not claiming an IR photo of the moon is interesting, merely that it being cold is irrelevant to getting an exposure from it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be honest, I'm not overly interested in black skies and white trees -- it's a very overdone theme in IR. And it doesn't always work -- the dust filled air of SE Asia meant most of my IR shots didn't amount to much (no black skies or specular highlights) the way it does it clearer locales. Personally, I like to shoot IR because of the way it renders highlights and brings out details in things like old wood. Stone, like you, I wouldn't waste any precious HIE on the moon or sun, but it's worth thinking outside the box and trying new things. I appreciate that others may have tried it before, and that's useful to consider, but I'd like to see images to judge for myself.

In any event, in some of my research, there was reference to how even the dark parts of the moon may reflect IR, so it might be interesting to see what it does with a half moon (unfortunately we've had a lot of rainy/cloudy days and nights recently, or I'd try it myself).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    To be honest, I'm not overly interested in black skies and white trees -- it's a very overdone theme in IR. And it doesn't always work -- the dust filled air of SE Asia meant most of my IR shots didn't amount to much (no black skies or specular highlights) the way it does it clearer locales. Personally, I like to shoot IR because of the way it renders highlights and brings out details in things like old wood. Stone, like you, I wouldn't waste any precious HIE on the moon or sun, but it's worth thinking outside the box and trying new things. I appreciate that others may have tried it before, and that's useful to consider, but I'd like to see images to judge for myself.

In any event, in some of my research, there was reference to how even the dark parts of the moon may reflect IR, so it might be interesting to see what it does with a half moon (unfortunately we've had a lot of rainy/cloudy days and nights recently, or I'd try it myself).
    Good points... I feel like IR film isn't long for this world... as far as I understand the Ilford SFX is even less IR than the Rollei stuff which isn't as good as HIE so I'd prefer to "waste" it doing it NOW while I still can is all. I just want to do it because I can, I don't mind spending $7-10 on some experimentation even if nothing good comes of it, I won't waste the HIE as I said but the Rollei stuff or even some SFX just to see ... BUT I agree wood texture with IR is really brilliant.

Still getting the hang of the stuff... so, any ideas on the sun? my meter won't meter it's too bright haha

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but you gotta see this. I found it searching for IR images of the moon after reading this thread. Man there are many kinds of strange people on this rock.

Now back to your regularly scheduled banter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post

Man there are many kinds of strange people on this rock.
    Isn't that the truth!
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin