Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,854   Online: 759

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin View Post
    Damn math! Sorry, I got a little carried away trying to make the connection. How about almost identical to the fractional gradient method.
    Or...
    Does the 0.3 Gradient fall a bit outside to the left of the endpoints 1.50 apart that were chosen to calculate Average Gradient from?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Or...
    Does the 0.3 Gradient fall a bit outside to the left of the endpoints 1.50 apart that were chosen to calculate Average Gradient from?
    Bill, you need to be a little more specific. As we stand, my answer is yes and no depending on the approach.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When development according to ISO conditions, then you measure the Average Gradient.

0.3G is 0.29 left of the .1 density because it is expected to be there... do you start there then look 1.50 to the right for the other end of Average Gradient.

Or when you do average gradient, do you pick two points 1.50 apart according to other instructions (again this will happen to be on a curve that meets ISO conditions). Then the 0.3 Gradient is not required to be one of the endpoints.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When development according to ISO conditions, then you measure the Average Gradient.

0.3G is 0.29 left of the .1 density because it is expected to be there... do you start there then look 1.50 to the right for the other end of Average Gradient.

Or when you do average gradient, do you pick two points 1.50 apart according to other instructions (again this will happen to be on a curve that meets ISO conditions). Then the 0.3 Gradient is not required to be one of the endpoints.
    With fractional gradient you need to guess a point in the toe, then calculate the average gradient, then check the toe gradient. Repeat as needed.

Under the ISO contrast parameters, the fractional gradient point is there 0.29 log-H to the left of 0.10 density. You only need to do the 1.30 / 0.80 measurement from the 0.10 fixed density point.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    With fractional gradient you need to guess a point in the toe, then calculate the average gradient, then check the toe gradient. Repeat as needed.

Under the ISO contrast parameters, the fractional gradient point is there 0.29 log-H to the left of 0.10 density. You only need to do the 1.30 / 0.80 measurement from the 0.10 fixed density point.
    Working backwards then, find the point 0.29 log-H left of 0.1 of the film-developed-to-ISO-conditions curve. Find slope of the tangent to that point and multiply by 3, do 1.50 times that, to find the density delta. Make a triangle with that density and 1.50 log-H and find where that triangle meets the curve.

What will I find? Will some of the measurement points coincide or be in a predictable place?

Or is it "Not locked down" and the Average Gradient triangle could wiggle anywhere depending on the shape of the toe?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Working backwards then, find the point 0.29 log-H left of 0.1 of the film-developed-to-ISO-conditions curve. Find slope of the tangent to that point and multiply by 3, do 1.50 times that, to find the density delta. Make a triangle with that density and 1.50 log-H and find where that triangle meets the curve.

What will I find? Will some of the measurement points coincide or be in a predictable place?

Or is it "Not locked down" and the Average Gradient triangle could wiggle anywhere depending on the shape of the toe?
    I've never tried it. I have found that long toed cuves have a slightly higher CI index when matching the ISO parameters than straighter curves. This make me assume there won't be a perfect match with the 1.50 fractional gradient approach all case. Remember the graph of the spread function? But neither does the fractional gradient method always perfectly conform to the print judgment speeds.
    Last edited by Stephen Benskin; 03-15-2013 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a little reticent to post since I've muddled my words pretty bad recently, but I don't understand Bill's question. Are you essentially trying to figure out if Delta-X reconciles the triangles on the speed point side such that certain characteristics to the right "line up", when the ISO criteria are met?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm a little reticent to post since I've muddled my words pretty bad recently, but I don't understand Bill's question. Are you essentially trying to figure out if Delta-X reconciles the triangles on the speed point side such that certain characteristics to the right "line up", when the ISO criteria are met?
    I just figure I'm holding a rattlesnake near its head and tail. The head can't wiggle that much. It's hard for me to predict where its teeth are, but I sure want to know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just figure I'm holding a rattlesnake near its head and tail. The head can't wiggle that much. It's hard for me to predict where its teeth are, but I sure want to know.
    Yeah Bill, that certainly cleared it up.
    Last edited by Stephen Benskin; 03-15-2013 at 09:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yah Bill, that certainly cleared it up.
    Sorry I've been dying to use the rattlesnake analogy for a while.

I double-checked the paper... Delta-X isn't exactly at the 0.3 Gradient, you don't claim that.

It's approximately, or close to that.

I was going down the wrong road because I thought you were saying it's exactly that. And I was having trouble reconciling that exactness with something that I knew had to be moving around a little bit.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin