Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,145   Online: 798

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bpm32
    I liked the ilfosol b/c it was easy to mix... but if its shelf life isn't very good unless it's in a compressed bottle... what dev would you folks recommend?

Am I hijacking my own thread here?

I won't be able to test the film until tonight... maybe tomorrow... but I will definitely leave feedback as to what I find out.

Thanks again!!

Brian
    I know that I can speak for a lot of members here (Tony and Morten especially), I would recommend Rodinal. It lasts forever and is great stuff.
    -Grant

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilfosol S is a wonderful developer, but does have that nasty habit of sudden death.

And that is the main reason why I mix my own developers these days - Pyrocat-HD, or FX-2 or Beutler's if I want a non-staining one.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Lots of APUG threads on the subject of developers. There is also a lot of information in the APUG Chemical Recipes section.

A Vitamin C home brew that a lot of APUG people like is Pat Gainer's PC TEA. There are no shelf life problems with PC TEA!
    I was browsing this section and couldn't find anything labeled as Pat Gainer's PC TEA. Which one is it?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
    I know that I can speak for a lot of members here (Tony and Morten especially), I would recommend Rodinal. It lasts forever and is great stuff.
    -Grant

Agree with this, using Pyrocat-HD this weekend and got just a faint image after 20 min development time. So when I reshot the image, used Rodinal to verify everything else was OK. As stated, cheap and last a long, long time.

BTW, Sorry about the negatives..
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pat Gainer post on PC-TEA

Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    I was browsing this section and couldn't find anything labeled as Pat Gainer's PC TEA. Which one is it?
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=Gainer

The following is a quote from Pat Gainer's post:

"TEA is short for triethanolamine, an organic liquid solvent and base. It will dissolve most of our developing agents to an extent useful in making concentrated stock solutions. It does not become basic until water is added.

PC-TEA as used here is:

100 ml TEA
    9 g ascorbic acid (erytorbic acid, AKA isoascorbic acid works as well)
    2.25 g phenidone

Heat this mixture to about 160 F and stir till it dissolves. It will stay dissolved after it cools. If it gets a brown color, don't be worried. TEA by itself turns brown upon sufficient heating. At 160, it shouldn't be any darker than HC110 concentrate.

This concentrate is diluted 1+25 or 1+50 for use on film. I don't want to brag too much, but it's pretty good stuff. Note that there is no sulfite. If you think there should be, add it to the working solution, but try it without sulfite first."
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I was able to squeeze some darkroom time into the schedule tonight... and I'm happy to report that you folks were right - it was my ilfosol s giving up the ghost. I developed a neg in fairly fresh d76 (that had been tightly capped) and it came out fine. I'll be darned... I can't believe how barely loose that cap was on the bottle of ilfosol s... it obviously doesn't take much to ruin it. I'm now anxious to try some of these other devs out that you all have recommended.

I can't thank all of you enough for your time in helping me out here. You've saved my sanity.

Brian

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bpm32
    I can't thank all of you enough for your time in helping me out here. You've saved my sanity.
    Brian
    Great. At least you have put one problem behind you.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format

Exposing through antihalation layer

Just for the record, from the world's foremost authority on improper film loading, you will get exposure on reversed film, it will be much fainter and of very low contrast. I know you have since discovered the problem but I am compelled to share my hard won knowledge on this subject, particularly since it's about the only thing I am absolutely sure of as far as large format is concerned.
    Thanks for the reminder about keeping developer fresh, perhaps that's one lesson I won't have to learn the hard way

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the problem with Ilfosol was known within Ilford 30 years ago. The fact that it was not fixed in all this time is incredible and may not be totally unrelated to the company's present position!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin