Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,553   Posts: 1,573,139   Online: 771

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    St Ansel's books, perhaps especially The Negative aren't the best starting point, but they do have a lot of information. Like others have said, I tried to read it long ago, got completely lost and put it down for twenty or so years before looking at it again. In that time I had learned enough from other sources that it began to make sense.

I would recommend reading Fred Picker's The Zone VI Workshop first, then start slogging through Adams.

slogging through it is a great description !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    No you don't... you just visualize it.

Aggghhh!!! Go and find your copies of The Camera, The Print and The Negative and tell me the title of the first chapter of each book.

Steve.
    Steve:

Maybe someone is channelling Minor White
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ZS school of thought is not so complicated and eventually you will understand. I may also recommend 'Beyond The Zone System'.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

DF

'Never imagined I'd get all these responses - in my favor! I thought Adams was the undoubtable, unquestionable G_D of B&W photgraphy. I truly am NOT alone.
    Nonetheless, I will try to understand, but with flexability.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    interesting; i found none of AA's texts very difficult to understand, but it helped to read about the same subject(s) from other writers and then, read his text again. after that,the penny dropped.

0)
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

DF, don't worry..............

Quote Originally Posted by DF View Post
    'Never imagined I'd get all these responses - in my favor! I thought Adams was the undoubtable, unquestionable G_D of B&W photgraphy. I truly am NOT alone.
    Nonetheless, I will try to understand, but with flexability.

There is no "scorecard" of votes yea/nay related to this. The Adams approach is a very methodical view of photography, and the consensus seems to be that Adams/Minor White/ Zone System discussions aren't quick reads and easily digested. More of a mosaic woven over a long time.

I mentioned earlier in this thread a book from Adams titled "40 photographs and how I created them", it is actually entertaining to read because he was candid about the mistakes he made along the way in making images and he goes from the pre-planning through printing. You might enjoy the book.

Stay Safe

FL Guy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FL Guy View Post
    I mentioned earlier in this thread a book from Adams titled "40 photographs and how I created them", it is actually entertaining to read because he was candid about the mistakes he made along the way in making images and he goes from the pre-planning through printing. You might enjoy the book.
    I found that book to be incredibly useful. Seeing how he approached the image, helped see how he approached the development and application of the zone system.

After gaining an understanding of the basics from the chapters in The Negative on exposure and the zone system, re-reading Examples, I was able to find more meaning nad information in the stories. I was also able to follow along with his common reference points for placements, which added a layer to the growing knowledge.

I think the basics he taught will be more approachable for anyone if they understand that it's smaller processes, leading to the final image. That's why the books seem to be the way they are. First learn your camera, then learn about light and film, then learn exposure, then work on the zone system. With those basics, printing can be grasped more readily, as can the larger overall process.

For DF, it can be learned easily, if you try it bite sized stages, and learn from the many helpful souls here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Old Buddhist saying
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-20-2013 at 11:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post

Old Buddhist saying
    I've tried understanding Buddhist sayings. Minor White is easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post

Old Buddhist saying

Very, very true! As is

"He who is wise is not learned.
    He who is learned is not wise."

Bill, that one's for you to work out!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin