Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 820

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Very, very true! As is

"He who is wise is not learned.
    He who is learned is not wise."

Bill, that one's for you to work out!
    I would guess, otherwise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    "He who is wise is not learned.
    He who is learned is not wise."
    Lao Tzu... What next, Confucius says...

DF

Yes - I WILL get that book, 40 examples. My library has it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Steve:

Maybe someone is channelling Minor White
    I believe Edward Weston used the term along with Minor White. I supposed they were not educated as well as Adams who was intelligent enough to know that the pre was not required.

Pre-visualisation must be driving to the scene before you visualise it!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sometimes Wikipedia has an entry on point:

"Visualization is a central topic in Ansel Adams' writings about photography, where he defines it as "the ability to anticipate a finished image before making the exposure".[2] The term previsualization has been attributed to Minor White who divided visualization into previsualization, referring to visualization while studying the subject; and postvisualization, referring to remembering the visualized image at printing time. However, White himself said that he learned the idea, which he called a "psychological concept" from Ansel Adams and Edward Weston.[3] Though the term previsualization was and continues to be used by many noteworthy photographers, and had become part of the vernacular, it is often regarded as redundant."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I believe Edward Weston used the term along with Minor White. I supposed they were not educated as well as Adams who was intelligent enough to know that the pre was not required.

Pre-visualisation must be driving to the scene before you visualise it!

Steve.
    I do hope you realise that education and intelligence are two different things... For instance, I have not a clue anent Basque grammar. But because I'm fairly intelligent, I could acquire that education.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    Now we live in a time where digital and computers have fouled up a lifetime of study and skill, and the photographic supplies are all extinct, there's not a lot of use for his books, I'm sorry to say.
    Now, more than ever, there is a need for his books. Not just his, but the works of others, including Karsh, Minor White, and any other master. The basics haven't changed 1 iota, although the mentality has.

It makes me sad to see so many potentially good "photographers" just copying everyone else because it must be cool, and shooting until they get something OK.

I think that's why I started getting into the older ways, because I wanted to MAKE photos worth looking at, instead of being a "see and spray" type.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Despite all the stereotypes, there is plenty of evidence that AA did not rigidly follow his own "previsualization" theory. Like most of us, he simply wanted a reasonably versatile negative which
    he could later fool around with in various ways till he got what he wanted. I once shared a big two-man
    with AA, namely, the biggest collection of "mural"-sized prints of his (actually, 40x60's) assembled in a
    public showing up to that point, and believe me, he printed the negs in an entirely different manner than he would have done in a 16X20 print - a lot more poetic, and a lot less contrasty theatrical. In his
    own words, there is more than one way to render a musical score. Maybe Minor White made a religion
    out of this stuff - he was a great photographer, but otherwise a total kook. I mean, really, the Zone
    System is just a toolbox - you pick and choose what you actually need.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try and snatch this zone from my hand Grasshopper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    there is plenty of evidence that AA did not rigidly follow his own "previsualization" theory.
    Didn't you read our posts? He didn't have a pre visualization theory!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin