Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,211   Online: 871

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Of course he did ... there are plenty of examples of that too, starting with his early red filter Half Dome
    shot. He was beginning to previsualize what was going to happen in the print. Didn't you read my post?
    I think I've been exposed to a helluva lot more of his work than you have, even though I could hardly
    be called one of his disciples! Of course, you could always contact one of his former assistants like John Sexton or Alan Ross for a more accurate clarification of his use of such terminology than anything
    I could provide. I see the son in law of his first assistant almost every day, who lives with him - and he's still printing in his 90's (hooray - hope I hold out that long!). In this neighborhood, we're still largely connected to the whole West Coast f/64 tradition - everybody seemingly knows somebody that
    either worked with him, or they knew him personally, blah, blah .... I don't really care. But I do heartily recommend "Examples" as the best way to interpret what he meant in the basic manuals. And you won't
    need to sell your soul at the crossroads like you would if you tried to understand Minor White.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So why didn't he use the term which he has somehow become famous for?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I suspect he did. But you'd have to ask someone who worked with him. I never knew the guy. The only
    retrospective I ever split with him was set up by some museum types late in his life, and he passed away before it actually showed. But per the nitpicky aspects of semantics, I'd infer that it would have
    been virtually impossible for him, or anyone else working in an analogous manner, to visualize density
    and development options in the field not to "previsualize" the intended effect in specific print values as
    well. There were at that time just so many paper types available, mostly graded... And I don't think one
    has to impute a specific density value to a specific zone designation for this to equate to the same
    general concept. No Zone system model is that inflexible, despite the omniscient dictatorial notions of
    Minor White. ...who probably didn't adhere to his own rules that well either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drew:

The word AA used in his books was the correctly used word "visualized".

For some reason many people attribute to him use of the incorrect word "pre-visualized".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The word AA used in his books was the correctly used word "visualized".
    Yes. As I posted earlier, the first chapter of all three of the books The Camera, The Negative and The Print have the word visualization in the title.

The Camera - Chapter One - Visualization
    The Negative - Chapter One - Vizualization and Image Values
    The Print - Chapter One - Vizualization and the Expressive Image

For now, I'll excuse his use of a z instead of an s as in visualisation!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 03-22-2013 at 04:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I suspect he did. But you'd have to ask someone who worked with him.
    Ross on AA and "visualization". I can't recall myself ever reading the phrase "pre-visualization" in anything I've read in his writings, but that's not to say it's not out there somewhere, just that I've never seen it. But there's plenty of examples of others using it, probably erroneously, IMO.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Concept wise, he implied it.... what difference does the microtonality of the jargon make anyway? I'll
    take Alan Ross' word - he should know, if anyone does. But that doesn't change the subject at hand,
    or how Adams visualized the entire hypothetical workflow, beginning to end, as a "previsualization" of
    intended print characteristics, whether he officially used the term or not (as if he was God making a
    decree!). Besides, I wish you Brits would learn to pronounce English correctly!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm putting my sandal on top of my head and walking out the door...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Besides, I wish you Brits would learn to pronounce English correctly!
    We will... when Americans learn how to spell!!!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    We will... when Americans learn how to spell!!!

Steve.
    Reading this thread has been fascinating but has taken so long that I haven't had time to change my sox or tires.

pentaxuser

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin