Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,493   Online: 906

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    This image was printed while changing both the f-stop and the focus during exposure.
    Cheryl,
    That is a really amazing shot...How you come up with this stuff is way beyond me.

I'm not worthy!!!

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

ghosting with aperture change

I used the aperture technique while using an 8x20 camera during a 1 1/2 hour shot of a cathedral interior. While I was taking the picture (at f45) a mass started. I opened the aperture to f9 (the largest available) for about 3 or 4 seconds. This gave a ghosted appearance of the people who would have otherwise never showed. This allowed a sense both of the ephemeral as well as te cathedral's greater permanence.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cheryl,
    That is a really amazing shot...How you come up with this stuff is way beyond me.

I'm not worthy!!!

Kent
    Thanks. I'm pretty much a mad scientist in the darkroom. Sometimes these things go great, and then there are other times.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    Thanks. I'm pretty much a mad scientist in the darkroom. Sometimes these things go great, and then there are other times.....
    Well, this discussion and your photo have inspired me to give it a whirl this weekend...Thanks very much for having posted the photo, it had never even occured to me that this could be done.

Cheers!
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I used the aperture technique while using an 8x20 camera during a 1 1/2 hour shot of a cathedral interior. While I was taking the picture (at f45) a mass started. I opened the aperture to f9 (the largest available) for about 3 or 4 seconds. This gave a ghosted appearance of the people who would have otherwise never showed. This allowed a sense both of the ephemeral as well as the cathedral's greater permanence.
    The whole photograph sounds very intriguing, any chance you have a version of this photo you can post?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    On the more commercial use of this technique, you might check the Lighting Forum on photo.net. Search on "split diffusion," and there's a good demo. As I recall it describes using diffusion screens rather than varying the aperture, but it's a very similar process.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This triggers a memory of something in "Naturalisic Photography" by P.H. Emerson.
    The focus was changed during exposure.

Then there was the grain suppressing technique of diffusion induction over several exposures with the enlarger by Merlyn Severn. You used a variable diffuser under the enlarging lens. Your main 2/3 exposure was for sharpness. The remaining 1/3 was divided between half diffusion and full diffusion.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used this technique when doing long exposure photos with star trails in them. The main exposure at something around f/8 for 10minutes (or however long) and then opened up to f/1.7 (on a 50mm) for about 1 minute. This produces a very skinny star trail we have all seen, but at the end of the trail is a fatter circle, the star.... This makes seeing the constellation easier and also adds something thats a bit more interesting to the common star trail photos.
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin