Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,551   Online: 947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps give us some specifics regarding what film(s) you used and how long the exposures were (as indicated by the meter). Reciprocity characteristics of different films vary wildly. For example with many current films the amount of reciprocity compensation required for a 2s exposure would be minimal. So don't give up yet. You can also compensate slightly for underexposure in processing (depending on the film/developer).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    OK. So if my light meter reads f/8 at 2s, this will be inaccurate then and I need to use one of these charts? Dammit, there goes a ton of long exposures down the drain!
    At two seconds measured exposure you could still be within acceptable exposure latitude of most films - for a technically perfect negative. If you shoot HP5+ for example, it may be that you needed 2.5 seconds, and that's not going to make an enormous difference in your negatives. If you were measuring for 30 seconds and needed 70 seconds according to the chart, then you're more in trouble.

But keep in mind that just because a negative isn't technically perfect doesn't necessarily mean it will not yield a good print!
    So process your film and learn from your experience, just like everybody else has had to do. If you don't use a multitude of films it's only a matter of time until you know how to compensate for reciprocity failure. We all learn some of our lessons the hard way.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    OK. So if my light meter reads f/8 at 2s, this will be inaccurate then and I need to use one of these charts? Dammit, there goes a ton of long exposures down the drain!
    If it's Fuji Acros you'll be fine; some others, not so much. In my (limited) experience, the lighting conditions that lead to super long exposures often have a wide range of scene brightness, and the exposure is essentially selecting what part of the range to display. As such, I almost always "get something," it just may not be quite the way I visualized it.

Having just come off Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day and having accidentally exposed a sheet of ISO 100 film as though it were paper at ISO 6, I've had recent experience! (In that case, reciprocity failure worked in my favor.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, so the roll that had several long exposures was t-max 100 - ranged from 2-4 seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't worry about it. TMX 100 needs very little reciprocity compensation for those exposure times. Depending on who you talk to, you don't need to compensate at all for 2 seconds, and even at 4 seconds you're not going to lose much. If I recall correctly, in Howard Bond's tests he found for his purposes he needed only an extra half second for a metered time of 4 seconds with TMax 100.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    hello
    i'm doing some long exposure photos with ektar 100 4"5", like 1h exposure....i didnt understand very well the procedure to find the reciprocity failure. anyone can help me?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look up the datasheet for the film and they will usually provide a reciprocity chart such as this one (I'm pretty sure this is for Tri-X 400)

Now meter your scene. Lets say your meter says you need to expose your film for 5 seconds. Well take your finger and place it on the number 5 (on the "Calculated Exposure Time" axis. Now move your finger up until you hit the curve. See where your finger is in reference to the vertical axis now (Adjusted Exposure Time).

So for example:

10 second exposure on your meter = you really need to expose for ~50 seconds
    20 second exposure on your meter = you really need to expose for ~2 minutes

The problem is that with Ektar 100 there is no chart on the datasheet. Usually when I shoot Ektar at long exposures, this is what I used (found somewhere on the internet). You can curve fit these points to interpolate reciprocity for an hour long exposure.

Calculated Exposure Time = Adjusted Exposure Time
    1 sec = 1 sec
    2 sec = 2 sec
    4 sec = 4 sec
    8 sec = 8 sec
    16 sec = 20 sec
    32 sec = 40 sec
    64 sec = 115 sec
    2m 18s = 4m 16 s
    4m 16s = 9m 23s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin