Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,916   Online: 1090

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Peter,

That curve is simply representative of a certain set of conditions;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	70176

Use something besides Ilfotec HC developer, change the dilution, modify the agitation scheme, adjust temperature, or adjust any combination of the factors and you get a different curve, each one unique.

Ilford's ID-11 curve actually shows to shoulder sooner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	70177

The published curves I've seen all seem to fit in a given box, they show the toe and what I might call the normal exposure print range. Kodak is a bit better than Ilford about showing alternative condition curves but they still don't show what happens farther to the right. We simply have no info from Ilford about what happens with more exposure.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Mark,
    If you can show me an hp5+ curve with 14 stops in the linear region then I will concede you this point. Of course there are different curves, but none of them show 14 stops. If you still think it is possible then I invite you to tell me how, rather than simply claim that it isn't impossible.
    Regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regarding the actual exposure range of the "straight" line, I'll have to agree I've never seen 14 stops in any film I've ever tried with any normal CI process. Acros would probably come closest. That's without flare. Under real shooting conditions the straight line would tend to be shorter due to compression at the low end.

Having said all that, I think PeterB may be a little too focused on the straight line. Depending on the film and process, there is usually a range of still very satisfactory local contrast beyond the straight line proper. For example on the upper end in my experience there are usually at least 2 stops at the begining of the shoulder which, for all intents and purposes, have "full" separations.

We're ultimately concerned with print quality (I hope), so we need to keep the film curve in perspective. If you didn't have curves in front of you, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between the straight line and early shoulder while you were printing your highlights. In addition, there is never any guarantee the full range of your shot ends up where you expect it to on the curve anyway. There are too many variables in the field (metering, exposure decision, flare, etc.).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wasn't suggesting that HP5 would have 14, in fact the example I used actually showed a shoulder that started earlier than what you planned on. I was simply suggesting that the number isn't a known.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin