Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,927   Posts: 1,522,145   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

EXPOSURE / SHUTSPEED

can someone tell me what f/stop/and shutter speed is normally used for a clear sunny day for a landscape/sharpe detail many thanks steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    f/16 at 1/125 second

The "rule" is called "Sunny-16" and the idea is the f/stop is f/16

Then the shutter speed is 1/ the ISO or rated speed of the film

In my case I rate 400 speed film at 250 for landscapes and so my case I use f/16 at 1/250 second

In your case, I assume you were using a slow, fine-grain film that might be 100 speed so you could use f/16 at 1/125 second

You could, if you are using 100 speed film, choose to expose it as if it were 64 speed, and give f/16 at 1/60 second

For landscape in black and white it would be good.

Shooter
    35mm
    You really need to take a meter reading, with the meter set for your film speed. A small aperture like f16 or 22 will give good depth of field meaning that the subject will be in focus from close to the camera into the distance( depending on how you set the focus). Sharpness is normally best from about two stops down from maximum aperture, and falls off towards the smallest aperture. There are some good books available on the subject of exposure that may help. Check Amazon, although I pick up lots of photo books in charity shops. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exactly what Bill said. Sunny 16 unless your are at extreme Northern or Southern Latitudes, then it is Sunny 11.

It is never sunny in Rochester New York because of the lake effect. George Eastman founded Eastman Kodak in Rochester because it is the world's largest natural darkroom. Also the normal overcast gray sky in Rochester was the color and inspiration for the Standard 16% Gray card.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It is never sunny in Rochester New York because of the lake effect. George Eastman founded Eastman Kodak in Rochester because it is the world's largest natural darkroom. Also the normal overcast gray sky in Rochester was the color and inspiration for the Standard 16% Gray card.
    That's a myth.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin View Post
    That's a myth.
    The part about the worlds largest natural darkroom? Can't be - my boss told me that one.

p.s. STEVP51,

I really wanted to make my first post:

f/16 at 1/125

without any further explanation...

Because really, that would probably work for anybody, anywhere, any (black and white) film*.

*With the obvious exception of the specialty slow and super fast films.

The latitude of negative film to overexposure is why simple box cameras work so well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Yes, it is a myth, but there is so many apparent elements of truth it that I find it hard not to pass on.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think Stephen really meant the gray card and the whole 18% is not middle gray thing.

One thing I know for sure about a gray card: If you meter it... and shoot it as meter recommends... it will be properly exposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I think Stephen really meant the gray card and the whole 18% is not middle gray thing.

One thing I know for sure about a gray card: If you meter it... and shoot it as meter recommends... it will be properly exposed.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have often wondered if the dull grey (or gray) of my vintage Tamrac Expedition was chosen so that it could act as an in-the-field grey (or gray) card. It works... when in doubt meter the camera bag.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have often wondered if the dull grey (or gray) of my vintage Tamrac Expedition was chosen so that it could act as an in-the-field grey (or gray) card. It works... when in doubt meter the camera bag.
    Use a densitometer or spectrophotometer to check it out if it's really 18% gray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin