Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,643   Posts: 1,623,291   Online: 1185

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Some idea of the difficulty in trying to nail down adjacency effects is illustrated by Crane:

http://proceedings.spiedigitallibrar...icleid=1232252

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My question is... (if the differences are as subtle as both I believe them to be and this data seems to indicate that they are...)

Might not tonal control of your negative, such that you are printing at a high contrast grade of paper (which increases mid-tone and micro contrast) actually deliver a higher perceived increase in sharpness than a change in negative developer?

~Forgive me if this should be a new thread but I don't feel comfortable starting it as I just do not have the technical knowledge to follow through with it properly.~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shawn;

You are correct. Higher contrast improves perceived sharpness. In fact, we used to go up about 1 grade in paper for each degree of magnification. So, contact grade printing = 2, 8x10 = 3, 16x20 = 4 and etc. This is an old trick which fits with your argument and that of others here, and no, this topic has not arisen.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shawn, contrast is always related to sharpness, and ultimately we are concerned with how the print looks. So you are correct. Actually what you're suggesting is in line with what Crawley recommended for small format negatives - ie develop them to lower than normal contrast (and give the least amount of exposure required to secure adequate shadow detail under these development conditions) and print on a higher grade of paper.

Of course we have to make sure we still get a negative that contains all the information we need to make a print with the desired tonal qualities, not just sharpness. But this goes without saying.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 07-05-2013 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Shawn;

You are correct. Higher contrast improves perceived sharpness. In fact, we used to go up about 1 grade in paper for each degree of magnification. So, contact grade printing = 2, 8x10 = 3, 16x20 = 4 and etc. This is an old trick which fits with your argument and that of others here, and no, this topic has not arisen.

PE
    PE,

A slight caution here though in that I've found tonality and image quality can break down if a high grade of paper is needed for printing a negative even at limited magnifications. When using roll film I tend to expose at box speed (TMY-2) and process to not give overly bright highlights.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tome, you are entirely correct. I was assuming one negative at 3 sizes as a very very rough example.

PE

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin