Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,740   Online: 841

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Just depends on what one wants the image to look like. Long exposures tend to match what we see...persistance of vision and all that -- we tend to take in the launch, peak and decent of a firework as a whole, when in reality, the tail of the firework can already be disappearing as the firework peaks.

Also it is easier -- less worries about timing the shot.
    Ah, right, but I am not so sure I can use it here, I dont have a high vantage point close by, I'll try anyhow!

BTW, any other care I should use with Velvia? Ill be shooting that in 120, and using a d/film SLR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Velvia... ISO 50 in 120, right? Try f;8 and 1/2 or 1 second exposures. If you want just the burst, 1/8 to 1/4 or even shorter, but it can be hard to time just right. The exposure will be mainly determined by the aperture since the fireworks are moving, the shutter speed will determine how much "action" you record. Overexposure will wash out the colors. (I'm assuming full dark.)

Experiment and take notes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Velvia... ISO 50 in 120, right? Try f;8 and 1/2 or 1 second exposures. If you want just the burst, 1/8 to 1/4 or even shorter, but it can be hard to time just right. The exposure will be mainly determined by the aperture since the fireworks are moving, the shutter speed will determine how much "action" you record. Overexposure will wash out the colors. (I'm assuming full dark.)

Experiment and take notes.
    A tad late -Diwali ended yesterday, but we might have a bit of sparkles around the 14th, will try then.

Thank you for the reminder about notes -Evernote's getting very useful there!

I did go for 1s exposure - at f3.5, then I mostly used f16, f22 and went with exposures ten seconds or more. One I kept open for a minute I think.

I tried similarly with the digital - not satisfied with what I got there, primarily because I was using wider angles and with a bit of distance the fireworks looked useless or light steaks.
    So I probably screwed up going very long on the exposures?

I'll probably go handheld and slightly faster exposure times(1/8-1/30) on the mamiya next.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin